changing early 04 turbo to 05 turbo

LilGray04

Lookin for more
Whats the best way to convert the 05 turbo wastegate to make the tubo work on an early 04. Might have found an 05 tubo cheap. What would be the benifits.

No conversion or fiddling is necessary, this is a direct bolt-on upgrade.

Now if you want to get the full benefit of the swap, you need to either splice the silicone boost line and plumb in a wastegate controller or shorten the wastegate actuator rod by turning the threaded end about 3-4 turns.
Doing either will allow peak boost to reach 35-45 psi instead of 28ish.

I wouldn't think the difference would be that noticeable. I mean, it's a little different turbo, but unless your stocker is shot; I'd keep the money and buy a used 62 later on and not have to worry about swapping stock chargers. Then again, if it's free or say- less than 200 bucks, go for it.

You can expect to pick up 50HP with a HE351 swap if you have extra fuel to burn.

I wouldn't think the difference would be that noticeable. I mean, it's a little different turbo, but unless your stocker is shot; I'd keep the money and buy a used 62 later on and not have to worry about swapping stock chargers. Then again, if it's free or say- less than 200 bucks, go for it.

I disagree, it's a pretty worthwhile swap

who makes the plug that replaces the electric wastegate actuator

Last edited:
ATS makes a plug for the solenoid
Part #'s for the ATS plug:
2272-202-003 Wastegate solenoid cap
9263K143 O-ring (1)
9263K305 O-ring (2)

I personally would fill in the hole with epoxy, JB Weld, Etc. Why spend time finding the correct plug or paying $40 dollars for something you can do with 10 minutes of time and $4 worth of epoxy.

If the black solenoid is there, leave it installed, it plugs the hole and defaults to the closed position when the harness is disconnected. The wastegate is fully functional with or without the black solenoid. The black solenoid is essentially an electronically controlled bleeder valve that bleeds off boost from the wastegate line temporarily disabling it and allowing boost spikes to 32 psi.

I did the swap in mine.

Just plugged the wastegate hose. I did have to put my old elbow on due to the circumstances of my swap(out of town when the old turbo went TU.)

Back