Changing input shaft 47RE

Willy91

Howdy folks,
I'm getting ready to tear my trans apart and am wondering how hard it is to change out the input shaft. The trans will already be out for the TC upgrade but what else is involved to change the shaft? Any special tools needed.

Thanks,
Willy

Willy91 said:
Howdy folks,
I'm getting ready to tear my trans apart and am wondering how hard it is to change out the input shaft. The trans will already be out for the TC upgrade but what else is involved to change the shaft? Any special tools needed.

Thanks,
Willy

You need to make or buy the slide hammers to remove the pump. After you get the right tools,(slide hammers) tighten down the front band all the way so the forward clutchs and input stay in when you remove the pump. Get a red rigid band to replace the flimsy stock band. Remove the forward assembly and disassemble to get at the stock input. Put it all back together the way you found it. You really need to have the shop manual because one can only explain what to do, I'd rather show you. It is not hard but it is too easy to screw up if you have never done a tranny. Good luck.

Willy91 said:
how long do you think it would take a decent shop to do it?

A good builder could do it in a matter of minutes. I highly recommend a good "red" alto front band. If you are going to R&R shaft and R&R VB. Call Dusty and get his "little" tricks and billet parts to put in it.:Cheer:

Not to hyjack the thread, but I'm doing the same thing on a new 48RE for my excursion. I've already installed the valve body, just need to get the billet input in it. Is Dusty at HTS? Do you have any contact info? Thanks!

Direct From Their Website:

Feel free to call or email us at:
Toll Free: 877-630-9122
Phone: (616) 897-6237 (Mon - Fri 8am - 5:00pm est)
hawktorqueflite@yahoo.com
For any questions that you might have, we will get back to you ASAP!
Feel free to email with any feedback also, we would love to hear from you!

If you have difficulties with our website please email:

HTS
13505 Beckwith Dr NE
Lowell, MI 49331

Ultimate Diesel said:
Direct From Their Website:

Feel free to call or email us at:
Toll Free: 877-630-9122
Phone: (616) 897-6237 (Mon - Fri 8am - 5:00pm est)
For any questions that you might have, we will get back to you ASAP!
Feel free to email with any feedback also, we would love to hear from you!

If you have difficulties with our website please email:

HTS
13505 Beckwith Dr NE
Lowell, MI 49331

What he said.....Dusty is at the Mopar Nationals until late Monday. :Cheer:

sootman said:
A good builder could do it in a matter of minutes. I highly recommend a good "red" alto front band. If you are going to R&R shaft and R&R VB. Call Dusty and get his "little" tricks and billet parts to put in it.:Cheer:

how much does something like that run?

Willy91 said:
how much does something like that run?

I think Cottman's charged a buddy of mine 20 bucks to swap his output. I wouldn't pay more than 40 for someone compitant to do it.

sootman said:
I think Cottman's charged a buddy of mine 20 bucks to swap his output. I wouldn't pay more than 40 for someone compitant to do it.

ok, I kinda ment Dusty's "little tricks" that you talked about. Sorry

Its cake. Just loosen the band tension screw on the outside of the case, remove the kick down strut and also the little fork (wedge) thats on the end of the tension screw that is touching the band.

Actually to make this a lot easier if your doing it yourself, visit this link and watch the instructional videos! I hope this helps:

Front Drum and Band Removal

Front Drum and Band Installation

Last edited:
Ultimate Diesel said:
Its cake. Just loosen the band tension screw on the outside of the case, remove the kick down strut and also the little fork (wedge) thats on the end of the tension screw that is touching the band.

Actually to make this a lot easier if your doing it yourself, visit this link and watch the instructional videos! I hope this helps:

Front Drum and Band Removal

Front Drum and Band Installation

Triple check your work....thrust bearing needs to be vaselined. stand the tranny on it's tailhousing. It is much easier to realign and not damage anything.

Its not that hard since you will have it out just some little pieces that need to be watched for. take your time and youll be fine.

the first time i had a shop do it in madison and he charged me 75 dollars to do it. Ive also had a shop in batesville that did a stock rebuild and would probably trust them to do it but i dont know how much they would charge. there right off 48 past 129 so there not to far from ya.

I also have a spare that is apart if you want ot look at it first and see if its something you want to do. (It has been broke down so a washer might be missing or something but i have the atsg manule for everything.)

I would offer but i only trust myself on my stuff (so i can kick my own ass when it breaks) but i think im getting better with mine after 3 times, dang clutches and bands and int shafts:bang Now that its holding i need more power

Im actually off Tues and Wed if you want me to bring up the tranny for looks. my # 812-584-2853

Jeremie

Last edited:
Where are you from Firemedic? What that shops nme that you talked about? That's nice of you to offer to bring that trans up but I hate to impose on people and I'm working 7-9 tommorow and freakin school starts wednesday so that won't work. But thanks for the offer.

No prob. Im not for sure but i think its fast automotive there right off 46 if you head to lawbg. from batesville on the right i believe there just a couple of miles out of town on the left.

I live in fairview just south of versailes.

Jeremie