Charging fluxuations from 13.5-15v

bigwhiteduty

I have a 1999 Ford Superduty that I put a 1999 24V Cummins in with a P-Pump. I was told the charging system was regulated by a internal voltage regulator in the computer so I set up the charging system like a old 12V Cummins with the external voltage regulator. The problem I'm having is, all my lights in my truck dim them get bright real quick constantly. My volt gauge fluxuates at approximately 13.5-14.5V. Is there any kind of easy fix for this problem?

Thanks,

Tony

sounds like the voltage regulator is bad or not hooked up correctly. Can you try another one, or just install a ford 3G style 130 amp alternator from a 94 and up mustang.

Been all through this ordeal!!! You have several options.

1: Buy an alternator from PA Performance already setup for your truck with an internal regulator. The most expensive way, but the best.
2: Adapt a different alternator like the powerstroke one to your engine as it has an internal regulator. Might be tricky depending on which alternator you use.
3: Buy the internal regulator conversion kit for the alternator you have and install it. Works like a one wire unit. I tried one for a while, but seems to have a slight amp draw when not running. I bought one from PA Performance and it works great!

I went through trying to get the stock 12v unit to work for several months. Voltage kept going from 13-15 volts no matter what external regulator I used. Finally did the internal conversion and it works, but for some reason draws the battery down. Then I bought one from PA Performance.

I have a stock 24V alternator with a external regulator off a 1991 Cummins. I was quoted by a local shop that does alternators that they could convert it to a one wire setup. I guess that sounds like the best way?

I have a stock 24V alternator with a external regulator off a 1991 Cummins. I was quoted by a local shop that does alternators that they could convert it to a one wire setup. I guess that sounds like the best way?

Yes that is possible...but if they just install the one wire exciter, then you might have a amp draw problem and it will not charge until you start getting some RPM's. My PA Performance alternator has a whole different exciter and stator in it.

I just put a 94 engine in a 89 and plugged in the harness and it charges I also did some research and the same alt was used up until at least 97 . If the same part number was used in both systems then it should work with the old dodge reg . If the 99 is different it is close enough to mount using the same brackets.
Rich

I have a the stock Dodge alt. that came with my 96 Cummins on my 99 Superduty. I just had a local shop convert it to internal regulation for $40 and it has worked like a charm for over 60k miles. The only thing I have ever noticed about it is that it wont start charging until I initially get the RPMs up to 1350 or so. After that, it is self energized and will charge for as long as the motor is running.

If it is below 40'ish degreese out the grid heaters will cycle on and off by the air intake temp sensor.