Charging Issue?!?

Kerry Warren

I have an 03 F-350 6.0 and my battery light stated to flicker for a couple days than stayed on. I ended up replacing my alternator, both batteries and the electrical connector, or pigtails, for the regualtor. I'm still having a charging issue its like the regualtor is bad. so i had the alternator bench tested and it passed so now im at a loss does anyone have any ideas?

Check your grounds. I had an alternator wok for a couple of days then the same thing happened to me. Bench tested alternator it checked fine, I had a gauge on saying 11.8 took it in it test fine in the vehicle, show the voltage reading and they swapped out the alternator and it has been fine ever since. These engines can get picky.

Set it on fire, collect the insurance, buy a dodge

Problem solved, problem staying solved!

Alternator ripple test.......... run it !!!!!!!
Just cuz its charging doesnt mean its good.

make sure they sold you the alternator with the correct regulator if it has the wrong regulator in it it will show charging at the battery but the light will stay on. Why they have so many different color regulator for fords now days is beyond me.we deal with it everyday at our shop

If the engine electronics seem to be performing erratically, it is possible that you might have
one or more marginal diodes in the alternator that are leaking. Leaky diodes will
generate AC ripples along your electrical system. The AC ripple will cause havoc on the
electronic brain. Take a digital meter and set it to AC mode. Select a voltage range to
read approximately 2 volts. Start engine and let idle. Negative lead to ground and
positive lead to BATT+ lead on the back of the alternator. You should have less than 0.1
volt AC. The lower this value the better. Ideally, an oscilloscope would be a better
instrument to use but not everyone has one. YMMV. Good luck!

Ok, so this is where we're at

He bought a new alternator from pep boys or something (not a motorcraft) and it worked for a little bit then repeated original problem. Never seen it at 14.5 only went up to like 13.7 but figured it was the dead batteries

Now...there's voltage at all 3 wires that go to the alternator when the plug is disconnected, key on. Just as it should. BUT when the harness is connected to the alternator the green/red wire drops to apx 1.8v. This is the wire that comes from the ignition

Seems like its the alternator but like I said its brand new but it's not the motorcraft just an aftermarket.

Could someone with an 03 6.0 (or one that has 2 wires in the plug) back probe that wire to see what the voltage is with it plugged in and key on that would be greatly appreciated :thankyou2:

As far as te ripple test the multimeter I have here is both ac and dc on the same setting. I can't chose between the two it's automatic or something. If I had my fluke I can but its 100 miles away in my buddies garage

Couldn't you just check for continuity one way an make sure you not getting it the other way across the diode trio?

Last edited:
sounds like this green/red wire has a bad connection, when a significant load is placed on the line, the voltage drops right off. try energizing that wire directly with the alternator running, see if the voltage comes up. trace the wire back and look for the bad connection.

Sorry it took so long to writr I've been pretty busy. So we figured out the problem I got sold a bad alternator
We replaced it and everything has been fine ever since.thanks for everyone's help I appreciate it