Cheap EGR Delete?

Powerjoke07

I own a 07 and want to do an egr delete. I have looked around and the good ones are a little expensive for me right now, as I am a college student. I found one for $20 on River City Diesels web site http://www.rivercitydiesel.com/22057.html It seems that all it is is just a circle piece of metal that blocks off the pipe. Would this work effectively or back fire on me and Id have to end up spending the big bucks. Thanks for the help!

The full EGR Delete kits will bypass the EGR Cooler and EGR exhaust gasses. The plates only block the exhaust gasses.

I'd personally hold off and do the whole kit when you are ready.

There's a write up on powerstroke DOT org where a guy did an entire delete for under $10. Just need to know how to weld or know someone else that does, or come up with a different way of doing it.

I've done quite a few of the plug jobs, by welding the factory egr shut. Seems to be effective and cheap! Done full kits though to!

Here's the complete delete setup for $10. Its not great looking, and I'm sure with some more time it could look as professional as you want it to, but it works and is a full complete delete. The only problem I see is still using the factory downpipe, though plugged, it can crack over time due to not having the EGR cooler there to support it anymore.

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

The problem with that method is that there are two flew sections on that up-pipe. Since the egr cooler is gone the weight of the pipe will sag and end up breaking the flex pipes. We were doing a similar method back in 2005 and was having all sorts of flex type cracking issues. If you delete the whole egr cooler then you have to delete one of the flex sections.

I don't get it, just weld a freeze plug in both ends of the egr cooler, put it back in and you are done, no cutting and still appears factory. Problem solved for less then $1 if you know how to weld.

There are only two main benefits of removing the egr cooler:
1. remove the exhaust flow from the coolant so that the coolant isn't flash boiled.
2. the cooler can crack and leak. Thus allow coolant into the manifold or through the egr valve and into the intake.

One benefit of a full delete over any simple welding is getting the modified up-pipe without the scoop. You have to remove the scoop in the up-pipe on 2005 and newer trucks!! You can always go junk yard hunting for a 2003/early 2004 up-pipe or order a new one from the dealer.

The only other benefit of the full delete is space, but what really are you going to be putting down in under the intake anyway? Nothing!

I have my EGR up-pipe welded shut with the scoop removed (found on '06-'07 trucks). The turbo spools better, the EGR cooler is the same temp as the raidator and IT WORKS!

So what does it really do if you just unplug the valve? I unplugged mine and it ran fine no trouble lights came on but it seemed to pull as strong but didnt blow any black smoke out when I got on it.

EGR cooler is stainless steel. Bypassing the EGR cooler isn't a requirement if it's still in good shape.