Cheap tow rig which one

revolutiondsl

Cat buys my Cummins parts
OK guys heres the dilemma Im looking at 2 tow rigs. I have a 32ft 20k gooseneck. I want something I can leave hooked to the trailer most of the time and drive when needed.
Heres the choices a 94 2500 2wd 5sp St Cab Dodge with 290k on it. Its been maintained well has a new clutch, reman trans, ball joints, tie rods newer tires. Its got a few small dents and a little bit of rust but Im not worried about that stuff its minor on this truck. Its got 3.55s and runs and drives very well for the mileage and age.
Heres the other a friend of mine works for a construction company and they have a 97 Ford F Superduty 2wd with a 5sp only has 107k. Its got a 10ft flatbed with diamond plate boxes under the bed on either side and has the ball in the bed already. Heres the good part the price $1800
Now the Dodge will get better mileage and is dirt simple to work on and I have parts around here for it. It would also be ride better on the highway. The Ford will obviously haul more weight but ride like crap with the stiff leafs in the front but with a third of the miles, dual wheels, GN already, and cheaper Im leaning towards the Ford. Whats thoughts on it

Loaded heavy, I would take the dodge and add duals to it.

The OBS's that I have drove have no brakes to speak of.

f superdutys have 4 wheel discs regular obs is rear drums

i would also go with the dodge, i would convert it to a dually and it would be worth the extra you spend on it for the reliability and dependability of it

Considering the mileage of each and the intended use, I think the Ford would have much lower operating cost.

If I got the Ford Im mainly worried about the gear ratio 4.30s and lower. Im going to have to put 4.10s and a regular clutch and a TS chip and an exhaust. I know the Ford will handle the weight much better though.

Why would the 4.30s concern you?

I agree with losing the dual mass flywheel.

the ford...as you mentioned just through a chip for extra towing power and youll be very happy

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, the Ford probably has harder miles on it than the Dodge. A construction company had the truck, think about it. Although the Ford definitely has a higher towing capacity. Without seeing and driving them I would not be able to make a decision, all I can do is point out what I believe.

ford the 97 I had f superduty had 380k on it when traded it and ran like new, and i got it from a construction company with 70k on it... as long as routine maintance was done get it... the dodge would cost to much to convert to a dually and upgrade the suspension to handle the weight

F superduty just hook it up and drive. already has tool boxes flatbed gn ball and duelly and 1800 buck! buy it

id say ford, its ready to go as it sits. the dodge you'll be spending money to make it handle the weight nicely. we have almost that exact ford at my work with 28x,xxx miles and it runs and drives perfect. and for $1800 you cant beat it.

4.30s or lower (numerically higher) im afraid will get horrible mileage and wont do good at interstate speeds. I think 4.10s would be perfect. I talked to House about it since him and his dad had a F Superduty that they used for a tow rig and he said they changed to 4.10s which was perfect and a TS 6 pos chip and it would pretty much pull anything and had good brakes and a stout suspension.

mothing really wrong with it just a stripped down work truck has AC and its red IDK why so cheap its actually not even that dirty and the body is in good shape. I know the owner of this company and he has no problem spending money on maintenence on his equipment. Im not worried about the Ford being used hard seeing I know where it came from and how he keeps his equipment.