Chevy 1972 cummins swap?

All I have done is throttle high idle set way back fuel turned in till the Idle started to climb.HX35/12. Timing bumped up. I ground the fueling pin star wheel is turned all the way down.Stock injectors.the exhaust for right now is 3" that is what I had on the truck origanally had a 350 turbocharged.
A coulpe of week ago I was out playing and at a stoplight there was a younger guy 21 my son went too school with he had is dad truck 81 chevy lowridder with a 454 in it it has alot if goodies in it. he look over and seen me setting there I waved and he grinned. we took off when the light turned greene the next light is just under 1/4 mile we staieddead eaven all the way
I pulled in the movie place and he followed me in he said man you got a lot of gas going to that small block and told me if I leaned out the carb it would run better and set the timming back alot so it wouldn't spark nock so bad .B y then I was laughing sohard I couldn't talk my son seen was driving buy and pulled in with his dodge he thought somthing was wrong and the the kid said that I was laughing at him .the kid told my boy the whole story my boy looked at him and said you dumb a.. that is a 5.9 cummins out of a dodge the kid didn't say a word got in his truck and left.My stomack acked the next from laughing. not bad for only turning 2900 rpm 31lb boost.I have 3600gvs in my tool box waiting to be put in. it has 4.10 rear end I have a 3.08 one sitting waiting to goin also I,m getting close to 22MPG .Odid I mention this is my wife's truck We call it G.G. for Groecery Getter.I wish I had a vidio of that kidI'd posted .
I have just got a fueling pin for it ineed to get it inand get the 3600 govennor springs in then I want a rematch My son alreadyset it up with the kids dad that owned the truck.The 3.08 gears pull olot harder the 4.11 gears spun the tires to hard when shifting.

Dale

Sorry I don't know what your talking about.I don't know what a pep is.

Dale

sorry about that. Pep is get up and go.

Also thats funny that that kid did not hear the diesel rumbling! lmao... thats funny.. :hehe:

did you have to change out the drive shaft and also how far did the front end settle with the cummins compaired to the 350?

The truck has been running about a year now and no problems with the suspention. the front spring only setled 3/4 of a inch from stock.

After taking out the turbo 400 with the Dougnash overdrive and put in the 5sp I had a one peice driveshaft made it is smoother than with the carrier bearing.I have a 86 chevy 1/2 ton rear end 12 bold with 3.08 gears.

yes it has alot of pep in a light truck and get a lot better fuel milage and fun to drive.We get a lot of funny looks at gas stations when we pull up and put the diesel nozle on the fill neck in the bed.I took out the stock gas tank out of the cab and put a suberban one mounted under the bed in the back shure leaves the line alot better .I also put a pair of batt.mounted one on each side back by the tailgate.putting the fuel tank and the batteries helps take weight of the front end.I can't find the paper that I had the weight differance's wrote down for before and after of the front end weight.
I sent you my number by PM give me a call.

Dale

sorry about that. Pep is get up and go.

Also thats funny that that kid did not hear the diesel rumbling! lmao... thats funny.. :hehe:

did you have to change out the drive shaft and also how far did the front end settle with the cummins compaired to the 350?

I talked to the kids dad and laughed he ass offwhen I told him what his kid face looked like.His dad wants a rematch with him driving not the kid.

Dale

Heres a couple of pics of what i am working on now and how far i got it apart and a couple pics of the engine

DSC01166.jpg

DSC01167.jpg

DSC01169.jpg

DSC01170.jpg

DSC01171.jpg

Are you rebiulding the fron end or just putting ball joints in.Your going to have a nicer truck than what I started out with.
Dale

i am restoring the whole truck. i am starting from the front to the back. but i am doing the engine last.

If you use that avalanche crossmember you keep posting up, you are going to have to build the lower control arm mounting perches. The ones that avalanche builds are for four wheel drive trucks.

Last edited:
There is no way I would spend thaat kind of money for avalanche crossmember I didn't even spend $5.00 on the extra steel for the motormount to the cross member to bolt the rubber mount to.Just call me cheap but for 400.00 for som thing you don't need.
I would use that cash for GoGo parts for the motor.

Dale

Same here Dale. I just built the crossmember for my brother's 84 Chevy and used the original motor mount perches on the frame and used 1st gen mounts to keep cost down. I saw the avalanche one and thought it was nice but it wouldn't have worked with my front sump pan set up anyway.

well then what do ya recomond. I dont have a cutting torch nore a welder.. so any ideas?

For the cost of the cross member you could buy a welder and had a few bucks and get a small cutting torch that is what I would do.I bet if you go to a pawn shop you could pick them up cheap now and check out harborfreight.
I have a small set of torches that my wife came home with she got at a yard sale for 65.00 and a carring case and different tips.And the tanks were full. that set we take to pull insted of my big set.My brother got a Miller suitecase [cricket] welder that is a migwelder at a pawn shop for 150.00 just have to look around I have seen 225 miller stick welders for 50.00

get on Graigs list or ebay even.
Hope this helps when you get ready I will take some pictors on a rack from underneathe to show what ever you want.Will try to help all I can.
Dale

Last edited:
Yep I will take some pic as soon as I can get on my buddies rack.and post them.
It was nice talking to you the other day.It is easyer for me to tell you some thing than it is to type it out.
Dale

No I haven't had the truck my son was driving it because 3rd gear went out of his Dodge just got it back on the road.Will try soon.
Have you found a welder or a torch set yet.The pawn shops around this area have been getting them in because people are out of work and christmas is comming.

Dale

No my son has been driving G/G that is what we named the 72 short for Grosseri Getter he blown a head gasket on his 24v will try this week end.Sorry for taking so long on the pictures

Dale

Keep us updated on the 72!

I just got a 70 LWB here. Very clean truck, Its destined to have a Cummins in it eventually!