Choosing a camshaft

HIGHGEAR05

After ordering my springs and pushrods, I'm thinking about ordering a cam now. Problem is I have no idea where to start from when choosing one. I'm gonna be running twin turbos 62/475 or 480. I want a cam that's good for street racing but is also reliable and can still drive on the highway. I'm not looking for fuel economy or worried about towing. Anybody with knowledge on cams and or opinions that could help me out would be great, thanks.

Do you have any plans on pulling engine out for piston modifications/any other work? That will narrow down your options quite a bit.

You can hit 1k hp on a stock cam. Bigger is not always better. I would like to get the 178 from Hamilton.

I wouldn't bother if it was me. Spend the money else where. Or save it for head porting if your HP goals grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't bother if it was me. Spend the money else where. Or save it for head porting if your HP goals grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's another question I wanted to know, is it really worth changing. Or is the stock one good enough to just leave in.

Cams have their place in a build but for what you are planning on doing with the 62/75 or 80 set up you should have no problems spooling wise and should be able to have a broad power band so I don't see it being a necessity, but sometimes the idea is better than the gains, with that being said I have heard very good things coming out of the 182/214 cam from Hamilton and am sure you won't be disappointed if you decide to go that route.

Maybe I should just put the money towards my compounds instead. I just thought since I got her tore apart that It might be a good time to install a cam. But if it's not a noticeable difference or really not worth it then I'll just leave it alone.

You think there's a noticeable amount of difference between the 181/210 and the 188/220?

You can hit 1k hp on a stock cam. Bigger is not always better.

Have you been on Hamiltons website, or called him Highgear? Website has a pretty good description on where they work best. There is a lot of cam info on this site, not everyone is happy with the 188, especially common rails.

Hamilton suggest the 178/208 due to the fact that I have 37's and 3.73 rear-end. With this combo I need the best low end grundy and spool which is definitely a job for the 178/208. What do you guys think, does this sound right.

How does this cam perform on top end though? Does it fall on its face?

I have no issues with it falling on its face on the top end. Pulls real strong to 3500rpm and after that it still pulls but my 68mm turbine starts choking out and the stock CP3 stops meeting the fuel demand.

Need a cam spec thread from the cam guys without a pissing match (not that they would).
It's been forever since I've read a cam book, and it was only for NA apps around 300hp

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Here's Stock cam specs I found on DTR site:

24V 3rd gen:
INT: 163° .237” Lift
EX: 191° .299” Lift

Just to add some experience for your benefit.

I had a 188/220 in my 12 valve, slow to spool.
Super B . 5x .012 injectors and better fuel from the pump.

I could not spool this turbo, even took all the fuel away trying to clear up smoke!! Add fuel and black out every intersection.
Finally realized the difference had to be the cam, so out it came and the stock went in.
Runs great, spools quick. spins tires on shifts and better MPG.
Just the wrong application for a cam change.
Everything you read says the big cam helps spool and MPG.
Not true in my case.
1998 12 valve quad 4x4 auto trans 3.55 and 285 tires.

Just to add some experience for your benefit.

I had a 188/220 in my 12 valve, slow to spool.
Super B . 5x .012 injectors and better fuel from the pump.

I could not spool this turbo, even took all the fuel away trying to clear up smoke!! Add fuel and black out every intersection.
Finally realized the difference had to be the cam, so out it came and the stock went in.
Runs great, spools quick. spins tires on shifts and better MPG.
Just the wrong application for a cam change.
Everything you read says the big cam helps spool and MPG.
Not true in my case.
1998 12 valve quad 4x4 auto trans 3.55 and 285 tires.
I think this highlights the info that needs to be here.

It's easy to have a torque converter mismatch the rpm window the engine/cam wants to make power within. It isn't as prominent in forced induction applications, but can happen.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Last edited: