Clutch recommended for around 500+hp?

12huserr

Cummins TSS
I just recently bought my first cummins second gen 98 w/NV4500. It was virgin 12 valve with low milage so I purchased it without hesitation. I did all the upgrades to it and ended up starting the occasional clutch slippage. I want to start looking for a clutch before I get a fuel plate.

I am looking for a clutch that will handle around 500hp but will have room for me
to work with if I do a few more upgrades in the future. All my buddies tell me that I should go for a southbend dual disk that is rated for 550hp and 1100fpt.
I was kinda wanting a single disk so I don't have to upgrade hydraulic assembly.
Anyone have any pointers??

you mean before you throw away the fuel plate.

and you can't go wrong with Valair.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Single will be jerky and as it has been stated, Valair is good just the same. A street dual disk from Dan doesn't require hydraulics.

Also a very good thing to keep in mind, you can over clutch a truck and wear it out just as quick as under clutching a truck.

you can also use a southbend 3250 double disk. Ive got it in mine and it know if holds 700hp 1400ft/lbs

Love my 3250 from south bend

W. Zacherle on the text machine using Tapatalk

I have a SB 3600 lever style DD in my dually and a 3250 diaphragm style in my 2500. You wouldn't need hydraulics for diaphragm style. Mine is a little jerky backing up a trailer, but compared to the FE single disc clutches I've driven, mine is much closer to OEM. I wouldn't bother considering a single disc.

you mean before you throw away the fuel plate.

and you can't go wrong with Valair.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oh yeah. Ha. Forgot about losing the fuel plate. I bought a #5 and ran it but the
clutch really started to go after that so I put the stock one back in. I have been told Valair was the way to go too.

I'm sure whatever clutch I get I will be alright. Everyone seems to have no trouble with the Valair or the southbend. I was told to make sure I upgrade input shafts as well while I got everything apart. Should I do an output shaft?

I'm sure whatever clutch I get I will be alright. Everyone seems to have no trouble with the Valair or the southbend. I was told to make sure I upgrade input shafts as well while I got everything apart. Should I do an output shaft?

No output shaft upgrades on a manual...

i dont have issues backing a trailer with mine either, and it hardly ever gets unhooked. I would do the upgraded hydraulics.

Just do the hydraulic upgrade. Its insurance of not getting stranded out of town like I did.

I recommend any southbend clutch. I now have the 750hp street/sled dual disk. Can it be grabby backing up? Sure. You can also run it so it isn't grabby and be a joy to pull trailers.

Just do the hydraulic upgrade. Its insurance of not getting stranded out of town like I did.

I recommend any southbend clutch. I now have the 750hp street/sled dual disk. Can it be grabby backing up? Sure. You can also run it so it isn't grabby and be a joy to pull trailers.

Mine would be smoother if it was 4wd and I could use 4low. It is still a bit smoother than the previous single I had.

Instead of buying the upgraded clutch hydros we just bought a couple of THESE and a braided stainless an3 or an4 line to go between the master and slave. It worked on our puller all season for about $50.

Cheap way to get rid of the plastic line, unless you really need the adjustable rod.

I recommend Kenny's to people when I ask. I think he has good products at good prices.

Cant go wrong with SBC. Ive installed dozens of them with zero issues. Customer service is second to none. Do yourself a favor while you got your tranny out and put a tack weld on 5th gear retaining nut or buy the upgraded nut. You'll thank yourself 100k down the road.

Back