Cold Start Problems

smryan33

smryan33
Need some help! Below +30F, the truck needs the block heater to start. This is a recent problem, as years past I have started the truck easily down to -10F. The engine will crank and crank and will not catch. I have experienced longer crank times lately and have had the TSB done to the ECM for long crank times. It still leaves me plugging it in to start. It has thrown a P0480 code, "clutch fan circuit", which has not cleared. Checked the lift pump it is steady at 7psi at start and idle.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Have your local fuel stations recently switched to ULSD or Bio??? A change in the type of fuel you are getting is the only thing that comes to my pea brain.

Billy, what happens when a heater grid dies? Can it dwindle off and only get half as hot?

Does this truck run well once it starts? Does it still pull well? Has the mileage dropped off at all? Does it burn oil?

Thanks for the responses, the local fuel stations have switched to ULSD. Once the truck starts, it runs fine, pulls fine and doesn't burn any oil. It is my understanding that it doesn't need the grid heater to help start the engine, it just helps reduce/eliminate the smoking when cold. It is in the shop today, I'll post the results later today. It's supposed to get to the single digits later this week, which will be a good test to see if they fixed it or not.
Any other ideas?

Just got back from the shop. They said that the 7psi that the lift pump is putting out should be OK, but, it should be a steady 15psi. They wanted to pull all the injectors and do a flow rate test before they changed the lift pump (Cummins suggestion). I told them that I would install a FASS instead of a replacement pump so forget about the flow rate test. I'm installing higher HP injectors soon anyways.
I'll be using the electric to keep her warm in the coming days until the FASS arrives. I'll keep you posted of the results.
BTW, P0480 code means nothing, it appears to be a software glitch from Cummins.