Columbus Diesel 5k springs

blackcoal

Well I see there is thread about the haisley springs but im having a hell of a time trying to get these springs set up right.

I cant get the idle to go any lower than about 1500 rpms. I have tried setting them really loose and about every other thing possible.

My 4ks have about 3 or 4 shims on the big spring which I took them all out. Also the 4ks have 4 springs instead of 2 like the CDS springs.

Do I want to have shims under the big spring? Also are shims needed under the little spring?

Any help on setting these up would be great!

Good luck with the CDS springs. Bought a set brand new and installed them in my 180. Sent pump to Antrim Diesel to be benched and flowed. Got a call from them saying they spent over an hour trying to set them with no success on it being able to idle. It would jump between 1,000 to 1,200 RPM. Ended up just buying the Haisley springs and and having them installed and pump idled perfect.

1.690 is the big spring and 1.540 is the small one

Good luck with the CDS springs. Bought a set brand new and installed them in my 180. Sent pump to Antrim Diesel to be benched and flowed. Got a call from them saying they spent over an hour trying to set them with no success on it being able to idle. It would jump between 1,000 to 1,200 RPM. Ended up just buying the Haisley springs and and having them installed and pump idled perfect.

The inner spring is the problem...I don't understand how they sell so many governor spring kits when the springs are the incorrect height. The inner spring needs to be 1.420-1.440" and they'll work perfect. Or you can send them back and buy a set from a shop who sells them at the correct length $.02

Last edited:
Might have to get some from Haisleys. Any recommendation on a shop that sells good sets seth?

The inner spring is the problem...I don't understand how they sell so many governor spring kits when the springs are the incorrect height. The inner spring needs to be 1.420-1.440" and they'll work perfect. Or you can send them back and buy a set from a shop who sells them at the correct length $.02

Can I take a grinder to them?

Ryan at altered diesel wurks. Best price I've found them at. Love my Haisley 5ks

Sent from the Chodster