Cometic....

Signal 73

#2 is #1
There out there, maybe 50 or so from what they say. My buddy todd blew his HG and is looking this route for his 24 valve daily driver. There about 250$ and if they hold like they claim its cheaper then oringing and marine modded HG.
From what I understand, there 1 piece now, instead of the original talk of them being made in 2 pieces.
Supposedly they make them to order and dont have them sitting on the shelves.

Do we have any users on this board with experience with them in the diesel world?:pop:

Are you speaking of the COMETIC MLS line? I don't think it's too much more than a superior multi layered steel gasket for the price your speaking of.

We have sold some of the big brother gaskets that are $500+ and it is 7 pieces total, special gasket with 6 orings that are charged with gas. Gasket only comes in 051 thickness.....

No special machining needed, just deck it flat and you've got the holding power of O-rings if you torque correctly. (24Valve cummins specific to date)

Yep thats the one. MLS. It sounded like the firerings of the MLS were charged with gas. Thats not the case?

Not with the MLS gasket, the Orings come with the high end gasket named "PHUZION" where the fire rings are made of an inconel tube, welded together with the "Special Gas" inside. They are basically 6 inividual fire rings that expand from heat, sealing tighter as the block and head heat.

I have talked to lots of customers that heard about the gasket, called cometic and were told about the MLS gasket. This is because the Phuzion gasket is still in testing and has not been released to the public until they are certain it will exceed customer expectations. There are some benefits to the gasket over and above Machining orings into head and block. Most people that think this gasket is in the $200 range are mistaken, this is because they are thinking about something they were told on a forum, and when they call cometic the inside sales rep normally only speaks of the gasket that is currently available and the confusion begins.

We are direct with Cometic, if you need some more info PM me.

so what are we talking for strength with the mls line with studs? IE comparing to a modded 12V HG (for 24V) with orings.

Cometics MLS is stronger than the Late model 3rd gen gaskets. It is a higer grade stainless steel construction and uses a superior rubber composite. With that being said I do not have a definative answer at this time.... Cometic claims they have 7-800+ hp engines running it... I asked what boost pressure it has been holding or seeing in the tests and current user trucks. They had no answer for that... I'd love to see someone here that is using them and has dyno time step in hear, I'd like the same answer you do because if they are indeed superior I would begin advertising them.

The PHUZION gaskets are expected to hold close to 8,000 psi cylinder pressure, again we need help from the engine pros here to help us translate cubic inches x boost + compression = PSI cylinder pressure. I am not a math wiz or I'da found a formula in an old algebra book. Last thing I heard there was a 1,000 plus hp 24valve on a dyno somewhere in Indiana that was testing the gasket. No real word on it yet.

Sorry I can't be more help but I have no other FACTS right now.

Nah thats cool I appreciate what you have contributed so far, it seems to be relatively new technology, Id hate to see anyone be the guinea pig but hopefully its as advertised.

Thanks Jim, and thanks Jack, I spoke with Cometic today and was told that a customer was running 80 psi with the gasket and 12mm studs, I was given his number and gave him a call, he builds transmissions for one of the big shops, he had nothing but good things to say about the gasket, however he did use a rather unique tourqing sequence, anyway im ready to purchase but wanna make sure I wont run into any major issues, any more info would be appreciated, I only plane on running up to 50-52 psi, but then again when I bought the truck I planned on leaving it stockLOL .

During the build up of Nasty, the cometics were used. They blew out.

Soup Nazi said:
During the build up of Nasty, the cometics were used. They blew out.

What caused em to blow? thats a pretty sick truck if its the Duramax your talking about, Im no where near that level, with my 6s and SPS62 I want to run about 50 lbs and thats it.

Ill have to find the paper I used to right down how ne torqued his head, ill post back.

Like no soup for me said.

They have had poor results with the Cometic gaskets on the Dmax.

The performance gasket has never been built for the Dmax that I am aware of. Were you guys using the Multi Layered Steel or the Oringed Phuzion Gasket?

wally i heard some interesting things two days ago concerning phuzion, i will call you later to verify.

JacktheBear3 said:
The performance gasket has never been built for the Dmax that I am aware of. Were you guys using the Multi Layered Steel or the Oringed Phuzion Gasket?

IIRC they where Oringed Phuzion. I beleive they where custom made thinker the the OEM to help lower compression. .05 compressed IIRC.

How are guys prepping the block surface to run the MLS gasket? does it require a even better prepped surface than say a stock gasket and o-rings?

blkram said:
How are guys prepping the block surface to run the MLS gasket? does it require a even better prepped surface than say a stock gasket and o-rings?

Nothing special, just deck them flat....

JacktheBear3 said:
Nothing special, just deck them flat....

wrong, deck surfaces need to be 50 ra (roughness average) or finer. I know from experience....

scot