Cometic....

blkram said:
How are guys prepping the block surface to run the MLS gasket? does it require a even better prepped surface than say a stock gasket and o-rings?

Dude, talk to your favorite machinist about how to get the finish. For that matter, you could ask Scott and he can find out for you if he doesn't know himself. :banghead:

Too late, its installed and holding good so far, wish me luck, I cleaned the deck and smoothed and polished it as much as I could, thanks Wally for the fast shipping good price, and all your help.

blkram said:
Too late, its installed and holding good so far, wish me luck, I cleaned the deck and smoothed and polished it as much as I could, thanks Wally for the fast shipping good price, and all your help.

The RA that Scot is mentioning is in the installation instructions for the PHUZION gasket. You'll be ok for the MLS you bought, just don't want you to be sweating:Cheer:

No that is the mls gasket, we were finishing block & heads on the 410 sprint motors we build to smooth. we would develop a water leak on the rear of each head after 2 or so races, after tear down for a freshen up the gaskets would have a polished look on the surfaces. cometic said that the finish is to smooth on both surfaces and the gasket is shifting back & forth between the block & head. changed the speed of the block/head surfacer and no more leaks. RA is very important.

scot

I can only speak from what is documented, my opinion is not important.

Buy one of each of the gaskets I am commenting on and the directions state what I am responding with.

Your phone call to the manufacturer may have gotten you results that are different from what I am posting, but regardless your application is different and if it were fact for this install and application the manufacturer (Cometic) would have included these facts with the specific gasket.

You are most likely scaring the chit out of the requester, and I believe what you are stating is true, but He has spoken directly with cometic and the facts are needed.

do you have any similar results on a 24 valve cummins application. Or are you basing these comments on your sprint car experience?

Here it is before install.
IMG_1498.jpg

Would this mls gasket work well with an oringed head? Would it hold better than the stock head gasket with orings and studs?

kxhonda said:
Would this mls gasket work well with an oringed head? Would it hold better than the stock head gasket with orings and studs?
You cant use it with O-rings, studs with this gasket is gonna be a pretty strong and cheaper solution.

blkram said:
Thanks Jim, and thanks Jack, I spoke with Cometic today and was told that a customer was running 80 psi with the gasket and 12mm studs, I was given his number and gave him a call, he builds transmissions for one of the big shops, he had nothing but good things to say about the gasket, however he did use a rather unique tourqing sequence, anyway im ready to purchase but wanna make sure I wont run into any major issues, any more info would be appreciated, I only plane on running up to 50-52 psi, but then again when I bought the truck I planned on leaving it stockLOL .

I think your are taiking about Dusty hawk at HTS I seen him talking about this gasket on DTR .

I emailed them last night about the 12 valve gasket and this is what they said.

As of right now we do not offer a 12v gasket but is on our list of new
gaskets to make. The hold up is going to be the tooling that embosses the
gasket with the sealing areas. Once we have this tooling created we will
begin testing.

I think they need to be bombarded with calls for a 12 valve gasket.

Can some one explain what all is involved in changing the head gasket because new gasket and studds is my next project .