Competition and Stock 12v Cylinder Head Pics

jkidd_39

I got a buddy that decided that he wants to build a 2.6 pulling truck. He has a 96 12v RCLB.

I am helping him figure out which way to go on his engine. He is getting a lot of bad info from local pullers who sell parts.

His local parts guy that is building his transmission is recommending this...
CC-TRDual Dodge 5.9L Cummins Tunnel Ram Dual Intake Plenum Cover

He went on a rant about how ported heads are worthless.. Cams are worthless.. blah blah blah.. and how I don't know what I'm talking about. He just so happens to have a 2.6 truck and won't show or tell about any this inside of his engine. I find this amusing.. but I'm trying to help my friend to understand why such a part versus doing the head properly is misguided.

I wanna help my friend but it's his money, his truck.. whatever he does is on him.

What I am looking for is a few pics of the intake side of the 12v head. With and without the plenum removed.

These will help me show how adding another hole in the plenum cover is not really changing the world.

Thanks a lot guys..

How does the experts truck perform on the track? That should be the tell tale...

2.6 truck in Mo, is gonna be pretty well built, here is my 12 Valve head

Attachments

• head2,jpg.jpg
    head2,jpg.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks guys. Does anyone have a pick with the plenum still on. I'm trying to show why 1 & 6 cylinders don't get hardly any air.

Nice manifold valair.

Depends on the truck, there are several very stout trucks from MO, but there are several want to be 2.6 trucks as well.

am i seeing a dished valve above zero deck? if so, not trying to be nosey, im curious as to why you did this? head is very clean looking. appears to be a nice piece.

I am wondering who's 2.6 truck he talking about.
If he want to be in the hunt for a win in mid mo, he is going to have to have a good head.

Head, cam, and intake are very important IMO

196885_10150448487855072_520315071_17838153_4072704_n.jpg

198010_10150459408460072_7357163_n_zps904723bc.jpg

Seems like the right place, so I figure I'll ask this:

With an aluminum race cyl head, is there a lot of distortion when putting a lot of torque on the head studs? And do they flex more when firing and potentially blow out headgaskets easier? And what's the advantage of them on an already heavy diesel?

Removed:

312370_10151347869117878_1464364498_n.jpg

Sorry don't have any of it on but I can tell you it looks pretty restrictive on the front and back ones

I got a buddy that decided that he wants to build a 2.6 pulling truck. He has a 96 12v RCLB.

I am helping him figure out which way to go on his engine. He is getting a lot of bad info from local pullers who sell parts.

His local parts guy that is building his transmission is recommending this...
CC-TRDual Dodge 5.9L Cummins Tunnel Ram Dual Intake Plenum Cover

He went on a rant about how ported heads are worthless.. Cams are worthless.. blah blah blah.. and how I don't know what I'm talking about. He just so happens to have a 2.6 truck and won't show or tell about any this inside of his engine. I find this amusing.. but I'm trying to help my friend to understand why such a part versus doing the head properly is misguided.

I wanna help my friend but it's his money, his truck.. whatever he does is on him.

What I am looking for is a few pics of the intake side of the 12v head. With and without the plenum removed.

These will help me show how adding another hole in the plenum cover is not really changing the world.

Thanks a lot guys..

Maybe I can help? I created those intakes. They are a nice addition for a driver, show truck or tow rig or anyone who isnt going to take the head off and machine it.
That said, no horn or plate or whatever is going to out flow a well ported head. The only way to port a stock head well, is to mill off the intake.
Unless he has Hammy's head with the stock style plenum.
You can have your friend contact me if he needs more info or doesnt think I wrote this. :Cheer:

Maybe I can help? I created those intakes. They are a nice addition for a driver, show truck or tow rig or anyone who isnt going to take the head off and machine it.
That said, no horn or plate or whatever is going to out flow a well ported head. The only way to port a stock head well, is to mill off the intake.
Unless he has Hammy's head with the stock style plenum.
You can have your friend contact me if he needs more info or doesnt think I wrote this. :Cheer:

I appreciate the info. He ordered this. Dodge 5.9L Cummins Dual Intake Horn CC-Dual Intake Horn

Which is the $275.. and they were thinking it came w/ the intake plate as well. I thought it did too when I read over it.

After the intake horn came w/out the plate and they wanted $150 for the plate and then having to source an additional grid heater or heater delete.

$425 for the whole kit was a little bit much IMHO. After we talked about it he returned the dual intake horn.

After we chatted he agreed that for his goals it was not going to be the best direction.

He is going w/ a ported head from joker fab later this spring.

He ended up building his transmission, doing gauges and head studs. So he is off to a great start.

Now injectors and charger w/ a ported head and a cam (Most likely a 188-220 from Hamilton)

Milled off intake, slight head work
2ypunu4a.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: