Compound Turbos in a different perspective

The hot side is no different, it works on gas expanding through the smaller 1st stage turbine and loosing heat, expanding through the 2nd stage and again loosing heat.

This I understand. But do you know how to work out the mass flow rate? Like on a garrett exhaust map? That is the part Im not sure on in regards to the mass flow of the secondary "expanding" into the primary. What is the mass flow component work out to be? :bang

I still don't think it'll compound. You're losing most of your gas expansion on the primary for little to no gain and to get any type of compounding off the secondary you're creating a bottleneck downstream of the primary. Plus you're adding 2 gates to a system that can work with zero or 1 wg in a conventional compound design.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A little more detail about what I'm thing now this is just an example because my OP was kinda confusing.
For example sake were gunna use a s363 and a s475

You would put the 475 on the manifold exhaust out of the 75 feeds the 63. Exhaust from the 63 goes to the downpipe. The air filter will be connected to the inlet of the 75. The discharge from the 75 will feed the inlet of the 63 (to be compounded). Discharge on the 63 to the intercooler. This system would utilize a WG on the manifold which stays open under low boost/drive situations driving the 63 harder for quick spool, and would close at desired boost/drive to drive the 75 harder. This system will also use a waste gage between the 75 and 63 on the interstate exhaust Pipe to prevent overspooling and high drive caused by the restriction downstream of the 75.

And my thinking in all this i guess would be it would still be a compound setup but also act like a sequential setup in its own aspect.
I don't know if this clarified my thoughts to anyone, but like i stated before it might be a god awful idea but Im always for a good technical discussion about out of the box ideas

I'm all for thinking outside the box, but that just straight up won't work, thermodynamically speaking.

Just out of curiosity, what do you see as what is causing the turbine to spin in your turbo?

I'm all for thinking outside the box, but that just straight up won't work, thermodynamically speaking.

Just out of curiosity, what do you see as what is causing the turbine to spin in your turbo?

I kind of see what he's saying, but with all that valving, it seems like it would just be easier to build a true sequential setup.

Jerry LaGod ... been there , tried that , he's not doing that now.
A wise man learns from others experience ...

A little more detail about what I'm thing now this is just an example because my OP was kinda confusing.
For example sake were gunna use a s363 and a s475

You would put the 475 on the manifold exhaust out of the 75 feeds the 63. Exhaust from the 63 goes to the downpipe. The air filter will be connected to the inlet of the 75. The discharge from the 75 will feed the inlet of the 63 (to be compounded). Discharge on the 63 to the intercooler. This system would utilize a WG on the manifold which stays open under low boost/drive situations driving the 63 harder for quick spool, and would close at desired boost/drive to drive the 75 harder. This system will also use a waste gage between the 75 and 63 on the interstate exhaust Pipe to prevent overspooling and high drive caused by the restriction downstream of the 75.

And my thinking in all this i guess would be it would still be a compound setup but also act like a sequential setup in its own aspect.
I don't know if this clarified my thoughts to anyone, but like i stated before it might be a god awful idea but Im always for a good technical discussion about out of the box ideas

It's not confusing. It just won't work.

Look at it first with no gate's in the system. The only work that can be done on the hotside is with the 63 turbine. You have no pressure drop across the 75, its utterly useless. No gate any where fixes this.

Back