compounds/injectors advice

jmoritz

ok long story short, I have an he351 and an ht60 with 23cm housing sitting in my shop. the truck has valve springs gov springs, head studs, 100 plate, and bd 60hp injectors. its a 175 horse motor stock. I plan on making the setup this winter, but im not sure on injector size to go to, and im not sure what the pop off valves in the charge tube are for? this is all in a qclb 1984 f350. I tow my Toyota on a trailer but plan on upgrading to a larger trailer and camper in the future. any help or advice would be great thanks in advance..

Really depends on how much power you are after. 5x12's or 5x14's are good size for DDing, generally. As for the pop-off valves, they are good for blowing up your charger. Get rid of them and put a plug in the pipe.

I run .016's and weigh 24,000 towing a lot. Max boost is around 60 lbs. but towing I try to never exceed 40 lbs.

Why never over 40psi while towing? A far as hp level, I'm not sure what it's capable of but I'd be pretty happy with a cool running 450hp

The cooling system will begin hating life if you try to actually use 400hp towing. 40 psi is a ton of power if its left there for any amount of time I'd expect it to overheat. I keep mine under 30 towing just cause I start to feel bad for it.

Crazy as it may sound, rite now even on a 110* day my temp doesn't come above 180* but my toyota and trailer only way a combined weight of maybe 7k

With fast spooling twins, 30 psi can come as early as 1500 rpm for me. That's a lot of torque and hard on the drive train!!!! That's easily 300 HP and just over 1000 ft/lbs at the tire. Like I said, hard on stuff.

Ok. I just ordered a 64mm- 76mm turbine wheel/shaft for the 351. Hope that will help back pressure and should improve flow to the ht60. The ht60 has the 23cm housing so it should spool pretty fast. 5x14s seem to be the most popular choice on injectors so I'm guessing I'll go that rout. It I made 350 hp I'd b pretty happy I think.

How is your setup not over 350 now? Stock turbo and injectors will get you 350.

I can see over 40 at 1500 with the convertor locked. Just towed at about 30,000 Monday. I feel 40 is the max boost with a heavy load. I did see 50 on a couple of big hills but got out of it. It has to be hard on the drive train. Like Will said, boost is instant with these setups.

well that's good to hear, with my light towing loads she should pull great