Converter problem?

inline6

VP's are still cool
My buddy Bought a 99 around 6 months ago, was told that the trans had been rebuilt with new BD converter, billet input, billet output, valve body etc. Truck was doing fine for the exception of the trans taking a little longer to shift than I expected but other than that no problems. Fast forward to last weekend I installed DAP 225 hp injectors,head studs,Borg Warner box 64,ts comp fuel box and Fass 150 with Fass fuel sump. Fired the truck up ran good, go to drive the truck around and the truck shuts off when I put it in drive. Put it back in park and try again and the same problem occurred, first thing that came to mind was maybe the converter but it didn't act up before so I'm not sure why it would all of a sudden. Any input is appreciated,Thanks

Does the truck die in reverse too or only in forward gears? Sounds like the converter is being told to lock by the computer the way you describe it. Or something is stuck or a wire shorted causing it to lock up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like it wants to cut off in reverse as well, but hasn't so far.

I have a 12 Valve, but my truck does this as well, but only if I fire it up and leave it idling in gear eight away, like when I'm in line at Tim Hortons. If I start up and drive for a few miles, then it wont do it. Started doing that after I replaced the PCM. I have a little light wired up on the OD and I can watch it blink on and off every now and then when this happens. I believe it's the PCM screwing with the OD and LU solenoids.

Unplug your fuel box and see if that stops it.

Last edited:
I've let it warm up and tried putting it in drive right after starting it and it shuts off either way. Also tried it without the fuel box haha, still does it.

Yeah mine will do it warm or cold, but only after a re-start. Can you drive it at all or does it stall every time you put it in gear?

The only way around it is if I keep my foot on the gas pedal while I'm shifting in drive, which I really don't like doing. I tried that the other day and it won't let the turbo lite. I forgot to mention that.

Your injectors are your issue, we see it all the time with big 24v injectors if dealing with a cheaper injector. To fix, buy better 24v injectors or swap to a stock stall converter as the pump can obviously not recover fast enough to keep it running now

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you lavon, have any stock stall converters laying around? Preferably Single disc.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with my 24v with a 66mm turbo, 240 hp mach 7s, an edge comp and a tripple disk torque converter (can't remember the stall).

Only time it did it was when it was really cold and I didn't let it warm up.

After you make the truck run by 2 foot driving. Will it act normally after warm? If so,
try thinner fluid in trans.
Back trans pressure off a bit. Use a gauge.

That kinda sucks!I know a lot of folks are of the opinion that the VP's are more street friendly, but, my set up is an '02 24v, p pump, with 191's, 4000gsk, and 7x14's, and even when it's cold,I hit the switch, and it cranks immediately, and even with a PTC triple disk, that's tighter than stock,it'll go right in gear, and down the road.

02 24v, with factory replacement, multi-layer copper coated head gasket,10lb overtorqued,160hp p-pump, 191dv's, 4,000gsk, mack rack plug, no plate, modded afc, s366 turbo(65psi), ptc triple disk billet converter, red eagle 47-re, valvebosy, 3.55 gears, glowshift gauges(egt, boost, trans)

No, it won't spool the turbo it try's to lite but the trans second guesses itself. Don't reall know how to describe It.