convertor opinions for a single S400 racer.

oldsmokey97

Im gathering parts (slowly) for a drag truck that I am building. Tranny is at my tranny guy and he is going thru my converter. I plan on running an S400 as a single and am kinda wondering what yall recommend as far as the stall speed for the converter. i will stick with the single S400 for a while untill later on when i would like to put something around a S595 or something as a primary.
What stall would be best to get this thing to wake up at the line?? I am thinking anywhere from 2000-2400 would be about right. I will be hitting lockup as soon as i get into second gear.

Lance

47rh by the way

Im gathering parts (slowly) for a drag truck that I am building. Tranny is at my tranny guy and he is going thru my converter. I plan on running an S400 as a single and am kinda wondering what yall recommend as far as the stall speed for the converter. i will stick with the single S400 for a while untill later on when i would like to put something around a S595 or something as a primary.
What stall would be best to get this thing to wake up at the line?? I am thinking anywhere from 2000-2400 would be about right. I will be hitting lockup as soon as i get into second gear.

Lance

47rh by the way

Depends on what truck you're putting this in but my suggestion especially considering you want to add a s595 primary down the road is a minimum of 2500 or more especially considering this is a "racer". Just make sure you have some billet shafts going in that trans to offset the shock you'll put on her with that loose converter. Good luck!

Lance

47rh by the way

:hehe:

How much timing do you plan on running. You are probably going to want the stall closer to 2500 then 2000.

the truck is a 95 3/4ton, single cab, 2wd, longbed. Nothin special.
180 pump by cds, 5k gsk, big cam, p&p head, I/R manifold, dual stage giggle juice, tranny built by my builder with some pretty crazy governor weight mods that should bring shifts up to whatever rpm i want to set them.

So yall are thinkin around 2500??

Lance

HAVE I TOLD YOU LATELY TO F-OFF??? by the way...... your Chit has been sittin there for months and all you need is a head. BAM! HOW YA LIKE THEM APPLES!! lmao.

anyways..... we need to finish that thing.

Now.... back to topic at hand

Lance

What are your goals for the truck ET wise?

remember, even though lots of homos think nitrous is "cheating", if we're talking about a drag racer, you can set up a little shot of nitrous on a button to help get on the turbo/turbos while staging, even if you're too scared to run it down the track :D

a staging shot will allow you to run a tighter converter and not have to play tree games... it's less stressful on the converter clutches and your tranny shafts

don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting an ultra-tight converter, but a drag racer can get away with a TIGHTER converter than a street driven truck and benefit from it if you're willing to plumb a simple little nitrous system on a button to help stage

not for sure yet. The longer it is apart..... the more plans i have for it. When i get out of tech school and start actually havin a good income again, then i can get this project back off of the back burner.
As far as et's, i am lookin into the low 11's or so. The longer it takes to get it together, the more plans i have and the more money a plan on spending.

so... dont know yet

Lance

remember, even though lots of homos think nitrous is "cheating", if we're talking about a drag racer, you can set up a little shot of nitrous on a button to help get on the turbo/turbos while staging, even if you're too scared to run it down the track :D

a staging shot will allow you to run a tighter converter and not have to play tree games... it's less stressful on the converter clutches and your tranny shafts

don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting an ultra-tight converter, but a drag racer can get away with a TIGHTER converter than a street driven truck and benefit from it if you're willing to plumb a simple little nitrous system on a button to help stage

At first.... right after i get this thing back together, i was thinking about trying it out on fuel alone. If i dont like the way it runs... then i will add some spray to it to get me closer to the et that i feel more comfortable with.
I like your idea though. But right off the bat, she will be fuel and air only. I like to work in stages. That way i dont go all out right off the bat and dont really have anywhere to climb to.

Lance

i used a std off the shelf suncoast 89% all last year with a single 480 and S480 over S595 twins. it would stall to 2200rpm before boost and 2500 at 20psi.