Convince Them

futrcumminsownr

Ok, I am looking to get a CTD but right now I am not financially set only being 18 years old and still in high school.

Both me and my dad our looking for trucks, and I am looking for a diesel, and of course he is only looking at gas jobs. We have a plan of sharing the truck, but I cannot stand gas jobs and I would slowly and surly pay him off and in the end it would be my truck. When he thinks of diesels all he thinks of is stink and noise( I personally love of all of that). The downside is that I don'tneed a diesel to haul 20 thousand pounds everyday nor do I drive a lot, I am looking to bomb my truck out and make it a daily driver/race truck. That is the other reason why he figures we dont need the diesel. The truck would mainly be used for hauling around stuff in the box, but maybe a trailer once in a while.

I am always telling him how a diesel gets better millage, and the amounts of power and torque they have. Also I under stand that it does cost a lot to repair it when things hit the fan, but really how often do these Cummins fall apart like that.

O the other thing is that he is a Ford guy and I like Dodge/Cummins. So please list some more ideas on how I could convince him to stop looking at stupid gas job vehicles. Thanks.:st:

Its not so much the Cummins motor itself you'd have to worry about(although it has some issues too) but more so the rest of the truck. Mainly the tranny, especially the autos... they're absolute garbage... well until you get into the newer years. The fuel systems are questionable on some years. I've only hooked up to a trailer maybe a handful of times and once was just to push a 31 ft camper trailer up into the barn for my parents. I didn't get my truck expecting to tow... I got it because I love the noise, the smell, the feeling, the power, and potential power.

Is your dad performance oriented at all? You can still have fun with gasser trucks. The Hemis can be built to push out around 500-600hp but not much beyond that to the average guy anyways. The GM motors are good for power, especially the 6.0... from the 4.8 to the 6.0 its all the same basic design in the block so all those truck motors out there have a little Corvette in them. And I'm not to in tune with the 5.4s for ford other then the Lightning, but they are pretty stout motors themselves.

1st get your own truck. Sharing one is not going to work, You two are to far apart on what you want. You are 18 go find you a 1st gen diesel that you can play with. You have to start somewhere. I see to many kids driving 40,000 dollar trucks and just shake me head.

You should also remind your dad that a diesel engine will last much longer and take more abuse than a gasser! My uncle pulls campers with his 02 dodge and it has 486,000 miles on it and it's still runnin strong! we have put lots into the actual truck as far as front end parts and the usual stuff but for god sakes, it almost has a half a million miles and it isn't slowin down anytime soon! He also runs a mild performance chip whick gives him power when he's towin, and 21 MPG when he's set the cruise on the highway empty!

Also to quote Forrest. the resale value is much higher no matter the miles!

I have no problem with a young person owning a 40,000 dollar vehicle, as long as they are the one working hard to enjoy it.

hey cumminatya, your pics are private on your myspace of the wreck.

woodsrat,
i'm 18, 19 in april, going on my 6th diesel! started with a 95 stroker, now i'm at an 06 CTD & 06 PSD.

ChaseN said:
hey cumminatya, your pics are private on your myspace of the wreck.
Hey Chase I will change that right now so you can check them out after this! Sorry!

I did this in high school...had to convince the parents i NEEDED a diesel...but it was to be MY truck, not shared.

The lower cost of maintenance, mileage for a large truck, and my amount of driving time did the trick. in high school, i drove 500-700 miles weekly. I owned a mowing business and used a 1990 ford to pull my mowing rig....so that 500-700 miles was nights and weekends. No, i didn't pay for my entire truck but a large chunk of it. I laid the 05 cummins to rest November 07 with 72,500 on the clock and that was with the truck being broke down 6+ months of its life....summer months so the truck would have had 90k+ if it wasn't sitting all the time.

I did straight up buy my duramax back in november when i traded in the cummins...currently a sophomore in college and broke as a joke.

First off your dad may not be into the whole idea of bombing the heck out of a truck that you and him share especially if something were to (and it will) break and then leave both of you stranded even though it would be you doing the bombarding. I know my parents werent against the whole diesel deal as we raise show cattle and always headed somewhere with a trailer a long way's away. The benefits of owning a diesel compared to a gasser far out way the down falls it may have: Better fuel economy compared to a vehicle of equivilent weight, Longjevity, durability, requires less mainenance, resale value is a huge thing and a lot longer powertrain warranty if you can manage not to get it voided with all the performance mods you want. I was that way with my 03 i bombed the hell out of it and ended up in the long run broke as a joke and with over 20k in parts that were either on the truck or had been broke or blown up and thats were the parents helped out. Now the parents and the old lady hate it and still cringe when anything performance wise is brought up around my new truck. If you can afford what you break and keep your parents off your back when it does then by all means. Good luck man just remember the goods far outway the bads when buying a diesel.

I'd save up for your own truck if I were you. Buy a 1st gen or an early 2nd gen w/ 12v. I wanted a diesel when I started driving in 2000 but at the time I knew I couldn't afford it and my parents would never buy one. I ened up with a gasser dodge but when I got out of college and started working on my own I saved up for the 02 I own now. Dad thought it was dumb and a waste of money for me to buy a diesel truck. Well he thought this till one day when he bought a tractor that needed to be haul home. He couldn't believe my truck would move all 10,000 lbs so easily, hold 70 mph on the highway, and still get good fuel mileage. So just save up and buy your own truck when you're ready, and drive your parents till then.