coolant bypass

craneman03

wet behind the ears
Does anyone know where you can purchase a coolant bypass, one that replaces the freeze plug on the back of the block

can one of the rear coolant plugs on the exhaust side be used? i assume it would be best to go from the back of the head though.

Garrett

Thats nice but it won't work on a 12 valve without modification.

can one of the rear coolant plugs on the exhaust side be used? i assume it would be best to go from the back of the head though.

Garrett

Yeah but on a 12 valve they would have to be tapped. There is a port on the intake side of the head though that could be used. Using the plate over the rear port would be easier and you wouldn't have to worry about blowing that plug (they still blow plugs even with the bypass kits installed)

Thats nice but it won't work on a 12 valve without modification.

Yeah but on a 12 valve they would have to be tapped. There is a port on the intake side of the head though that could be used. Using the plate over the rear port would be easier and you wouldn't have to worry about blowing that plug (they still blow plugs even with the bypass kits installed)

i can use this for the bypass, right?

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/8902-dodge-59l-cummins-diesel-boltin-rear-freeze-plug-p-7815.html

Garrett

cummins makes one too, part # 3925226 for the cast piece that bolts on the block and the o-ring to seal it to block part # is 3910530. just did mine not to long ago after blowing it out.

I used T at the temp sensor with a 1/4 turn valve and return it to the upper hose with home made T. It can be used when needed and turned off when not. My engine would push water from the head gasket when pulling before I installed it.

I got the bolt in freeze plug from Pure Diesel Power listed above, and ran a 5/8ths. heater hose to a quarter turn valve, then tapped into the t stat housing. It's off to warm up, then open it when I make a run. Cheap n easy, just like me!

I was going that route but the plate wouldn't fit with the adapter for the ZF6.