Coolant sensor not working and might be causing problems

STROKETHISF350

Im having an issue with injector rattle like the timing is too high and its more noticable when the truck is warm, during logging with efi live i noticed that the coolant sensor was reading -40 so i back traced all the wires and ohmed them to make sure they were in the correct spot and the sensor had a groung and signal. There are no ect codes until i unplug the sensor but it still doesnt work. It did work right before i swapped my harness over and the engine ran alot quieter. I believe this sensor not working is the cause of my problems with the engine running noisy can some one please help me with any ideas on how to fix this or what i can do to figure out why its getting no signal, thanks

What is the temp values of the voltage range of the sensor?

You may be able to fool the ecm into thinking its at operating temp with a resistor.

I'm not really sure what they are is that a way to eliminate the ecm as a possible cause for it not working?

That would probably the be the easiest and cheapest way to prove wiring it good and bad sensor.

I would think that it is a possibility. I believe the ecm changes timing according to ambient temp.

My thought is it worked before so its a communication issue. Could be wrong of course.

Figuring out the values then fooling accordingly is my theory.

Edit: Have you tried to run it with the sensor unplugged? Probably defaults to a normal operating temp.

Last edited:
Its definatley not a wiring issue considering the signal wire is showing something with key on and the ground shows ground with a power probe, I also checked to make sure I put the wires in the right spot and they were the signal was connector C1 pin 17 and the ground in C1 pin 17 if someone could double check to make sure that's right

It does change according to temp that's why I believe its causing the rattle at operating temp but not as much when cold, there's someone over on cf I think who had a bad coolant sensor cause white smoke while cold but none once up to operating temp
That would probably the be the easiest and cheapest way to prove wiring it good and bad sensor.

I would think that it is a possibility. I believe the ecm changes timing according to ambient temp.

Have you tried any of the conversion companies to see if they have ever had the same issue?

I repinned an 05 harness to be an 06 I don't think they would know, honestly none of the conversion companies seem to know much about anything.

I'm gonna try a new sensor but if that doesn't work I guess my problem might be the ecm since everything else checks out?

3 wire or two wire? - 40 is the bottom of the range/Uninstalled. I think the voltage is inversely proportional though. I will have to check at work.

Find out what it does when you short signal to source and short using a resistor.

Monkey Fist Rage

Last edited:
Also all the 5.9 sensors are the same as far as all my research goes , I got an 06 ecm and harness I made to convert my truck just need another harness for my 05 so I don't have to cut up my stock harness to make all the gauges and a/c and such work.

Its a 2 wire and yes the -40 is the minimum and it stayed the same with the sensor plugged in and unplugged. What kind of resistor would I use to test the system?
3 wire or two wire? - 40 is the bottom of the range/Uninstalled. I think the voltage is inversely proportional though. I will have to check at work.

Find out what it does when you short signal to source and short using a resistor.

Monkey Fist Rage

Back