cooling turbo??

DieselMissy04

Learning!
I've always wondered how long I should let my truck idle after hauling for long distances, or even after just driving for several hours. It's kinda my pet-peeve and most my friends say I wait way too long, but i usually let it cool down for 10-15 minutes before turning it off. Then I read on another post on here that cummins say you should max idle for 10 minutes??

Anyways, it was more of a whats-your-opinion type question.. and i probably should post this in a general forum, but I like to get the people with the best sense [cummins owners, of course] just playin. kinda.

Thanks yall!:Cheer:

If you have a pyro wait till it gets to around 300 and you will be fine. Even max load for a long time and 5 min should be fine.

haz-mat19 said:
If you have a pyro wait till it gets to around 300 and you will be fine. Even max load for a long time and 5 min should be fine.

Bingo. I just watch my pryo, but I really don't care since my HY35 is dying a slow death anyway. Although, if I've been romping on it I atleast wait for it to get below 400 degrees.

EGTs should be at or below 300*, the reason for cool down is to keep the oil in the turbo from cooking or "coking up" and causing premature failure of the bearings. If you wait at least until the exhaust gasses are at or below 300* the heat in the manifold and turbo should be down to the point it will not cook the oil once the engine is shut off and you no longer have exhaust gasses flowing through to carry the heat build up away. All of these temps are only good using a pre turbo EGT gauge, post turbo gauges normally read 100-200* different.

This is not your first rodeo Missy and I feel sure you know the reasoning behind cool down, typed out the book for the newbies who might read this and wonder :D

oh no i appreciate it-- no such thing as too much advice on my truck! haha thats why i love reading all the other posts so itll all come together one day :)

I let mine sit after a long hard haul for about 15-20 minutes, cant be to careful...

CookCR said:
I let mine sit after a long hard haul for about 15-20 minutes, cant be to careful...

yeah thats what i thought too til i read the post about idleing too long.. :huh::

so now im hearing my truck need not idle for more then 15 min? so me letting it idle 2hrs is a bit out of the question then dang lol

as allan will tell you I let my truck cool down to much, if i am running nice and easy i give it a good 5min, after a long haul or at the strip i let it idle ALOT LONGER some times 20min

haha i think its just when it idles below 1k rpm, but if youre anything like me, then thats the only idle my truck knows. except on the "cold" georgia mornings when i warm her up!

Im bad bout goin inside when i let it cool off and just forgetting. so im guilty of the 2 hour idle as well :-(

thanks for the advice tho guys!

Two hour idle times are NOT good for any diesel. The engine will cool down to the point that all of the fuel is not burnt and starts to wash the oil off the cylinder walls, not good. If you can idle it up to 11-1200RPM it can run there for days on end with no ill effect since the heat will stay in the motor and keep the fuel burnt.

Larger injectors are supposed to be really bad about this, but that's just what I have heard and I have seen no conclusive evidence.

that makes sense.. especially when we run tractors all day we usually only let em cool for about 30 seconds. granted they take some major abuse.

isnt there some kinda feature on the newer trucks-- like a high idle or something? seems like i read bout it somewhere.

DieselMissy04 said:
haha i think its just when it idles below 1k rpm, but if youre anything like me, then thats the only idle my truck knows. except on the "cold" georgia mornings when i warm her up!

Im bad bout goin inside when i let it cool off and just forgetting. so im guilty of the 2 hour idle as well :-(

thanks for the advice tho guys!

Usually my truck doesnt idle for 15 at idle...i usually let it hi idle for 8-10 minutes around 1250rpm's

If I'm unloaded I let it cool down in between putting it in park and cutting it off... .......... Did I mention pyros are overrated? LOL

^^ haha well thats how i was with the dually.. but after the tranny went out i think everything followed in the same path.

i take care of the new truck. kinda.

No sense in cooling the truck down to save the tranny LOL

seriously, if you arent towing, coast down the driveway and shut it off. If you are towing, it may be good to cool down for a few minutes, but nothing crazy.

Cool down

If you drive an automatic and you are worried about the tranny the best thing for it is to pull in and leave it in drive with your foot on the brake and listen to one more song on the radio. In drive your clutches will be engauged thus disapating the heat in the tranny, resulting in extended tranny life. Make sure your in drive though if you do this in park the tranny temp can actually rise the clutchs wont make contact and heat will have no where to go. If you drive a standard just leave it in a gear and you'll be fine. Tranny and pyros are nice little tools to have.

91 12v
flat bed, loads of leds
4in. lift 35in.bfgs
4in. twin stacks
pump turned up with LUCAS Pods:st:

DieselMissy04 said:
i guess im the only one that didnt know bout the hi idle feature? :doh:
Ill have to check and see if it can be enabled on the 03's im not positive. You can take it to your dealer(or use a triple dog) and enable high idle, you turn your cruise on and hit set while in park(must be an auto) and it raises your idle to like 1100, then you can use your accel decel buttons to raise or lower it.