Copper head gasket?

It will hold lots of boost, but has a tendency to seep some water.

From what I have seen on a street truck no. They had a copper gasket and an o ringed head and it blew out at the block to gasket o-ring held. They went to a .020 over marine gasket when it was fixed.

From what I have seen on a street truck no. They had a copper gasket and an o ringed head and it blew out at the block to gasket o-ring held. They went to a .020 over marine gasket when it was fixed.

I've been under the impression that you should be o-ringing both the head and block to avoid that issue, no?

I believe CSutton7 has been driving around for 8-9 years on a copper head gasket, but he has o-rings in the block and head...plus a "secret coating" on the gasket applied by Nowell HVAC Thomas.

I don't remember what it was, but it was something out of the ordinary. I just remember when Chris told us about it he kinda chuckled, if he see's this he may spill the beans.

The Red Rocket has O-rings in the head and block and runs a copper gasket. I got my gaskets from Flat Out Gaskets and they make a RCC9056 (RCC is Rubber Coated Copper) and it holds well both on the street and at the track. You need to keep up with your retorques as with any head but they work very well.

I just had a customer call me yesterday who blew out a copper gasket in 2 months street driving. I switched him over to a Cummins std. gasket. I haven't heard good things about the copper gaskts, but maybe sutton has the cure. This customers truck had orings on the block only.

Last edited:
I checked into them when I pulled the head, and everyone I talked to said I would need to get the block decked (in addition to the head).

I decided to go with standard o-rings and a .020 over marine gasket.

Yamabond sealant (cement)

We have a winner!!!

Yamabond is what I used on my 12 valve (Nowell helped me o-ring the head and install it at his place in Half Moon Bay.

We had great results with a stainless o-ring in the deck and head with opposing grooves. We had to cut two seperate grooves in the deck and the head.

I can't remember what size wire we used but based on that we had to calculate the correct depth of the wire groove and the opposing groove.

Boy this brings up some great moments with Nowell. I sure miss that guy.

can a copper gasket be reused?

what's the best solution for a filled block competition engine?