CP3 Change Out

dorkweed

OK, I've read the manual, and pretty much know what all is involved with this project. Can anyone shed some light on what I should do that's not in the manual that would make things easier??? Thanks in advance!!:thankyou2:

don't drop the nut and washer from the CP3 shaft into the gear cover and don't get any debris in anything !

Sometimes they can take a little "persuasion" to get the pump out of the gear case. Watch what you pry on when trying to free it.

You can use a pencil magnet on the end of the shaft to keep the nut and washer from falling in the gear case.

OK, we've got comedians here!!!! I do understand and appreciate reiterating that though. What I was looking for was.........what to remove prior, if not in the manual.........what not needed to remove if in the manual etc.

Right now I think to start, I'm gonna remove the upper radiator hose, the surpentine belt, the intake horn and boot. The intake horn is gonna be a pita because I've got my 2 micron fuel filter mounted there!! After that, it should just be pulling the cp3 gear and removing three nuts essentially.

How about it, any removal/install advise not in the manual....again!!!! I'm asking this of you guys that've done a time or three!!

No need to take off the radiator hose. You will want to take off the intake horn and the apps

I've done mine 3 times and I have never removed anything except the plastic plug in the front cover and all the lines to the cp3. You don't need to remove the intake horn, belt, hose or anything else. JMHO.

Joe

I've done mine 3 times and I have never removed anything except the plastic plug in the front cover and all the lines to the cp3. You don't need to remove the intake horn, belt, hose or anything else. JMHO.

Joe

How in the heck do you get your hands, let alone a ratchet and a gear puller between the radiator and the front cover if you don't remove the upper radiator hose and serpenine belt??? I've got mongo hands FYI!! I looked today, and I can see maybe not removing the intake horn.........but I've got my 2 micron FF attached there, so I may have to!!! Please elaborate!!

Its possible to do it all the ways mentioned.I remove the belt for easier access to the plastic cover and for pulling the gear.Outside of the fuel lines,I don't remove anything else.One other thing is don't get carried away tightening the plastic gear cover.It will break.I know from experience.Look at it closely before removing it.The lip of it does not mount flush with the front cover because of the seal ring on the back side of it.You might could get by just removing the remote mounted filter.

like joe said...

no need to remove the hose, belt, ecm, nada. I always use a puller, but many people have used a pry bar or a big flat screwdriver with no problems.

Get a battery impact and take everything that you think might be in your way off, with the impact it goes so much faster. Last weekend me and my brother changed a cp3, inter cooler and fluid damper in 2.5hrs flat!

Things are much easier if you use the OTC tool to pull the gear instead of a steering wheel puller, it fits in better. Jay

I didn't use a puller I just used a prybar and wiggled it between the cp3 and the case and the gear popped right off. My truck is an 03 and has a smaller fan shroud than the newer ones, poss giving me more room to move. I am no little guy and I was able to get in there no problem. X-2 on not overtightening the plastic plug, broke mine also.

Joe

Joe

Same here.:rockwoot:

A couple more quick questions here about this project. 1. When torquing the cp3 gear nut; will the engine want to turn when I get close to the proper torque??? If yes, what do I do?? 2. How clean do the cp3 shaft and the gear hole need to be??? The manual says to clean with brake parts cleaner prior to assembly.

A couple more quick questions here about this project. 1. When torquing the cp3 gear nut; will the engine want to turn when I get close to the proper torque??? If yes, what do I do?? 2. How clean do the cp3 shaft and the gear hole need to be??? The manual says to clean with brake parts cleaner prior to assembly.

1) yes it will. use either a barring tool to hold it or a rachet with 15mm socket on the dampner.

2) yes it must be clean. I spray mine with brake clean and wipe it off good with a towel and then reapply brake clean and let it evaporate off before installing it.

And for those with a manual trans, just put in gear and set the parking brake. ;-)

any suggestions on anything to "secure" things while my truck sits outside for close too two weeks while my pump is sent off? I plan to use alot of tape and what not to cover up all the open area. Anything else that I should look for?