CR Engine Build

bigbluecummins

I am planning on building an engine soon and trying to figure out what components would work the best. Shooting for about 1000hp on fuel. I would like the truck to be streetable.

Planning on polishing crank and 12v rods, also shot peen the rods. I am wondering what pistons to use. I know the qsb 480 is a popular choice because of the common meltdowns with the 04.5+ bowl design. Some say it is harder to make power with the 03-04 design. Are these still the best chioce with EFI live now available?

Also wondering if it is worth it to go with a side intake or is just a port and polish enough for the goal in mind.

I would go with a side draft intake for that power level. Not needed nessisarily but would even air flow out to each cylinder.

I run 07 5.9 pistons but my injectors are cut for the tighter spray angle of the 03-04s. Seem to be doing good. You will need a good cam and plenty of head porting

For the best head work i recommend Premier Engine Design in Iowa. He has done head work on some of the best pulling trucks in the country. And a bullet cam. What kind of compression are u looking towards?

I was looking into the hellman intake. I was thinking not below 16:1 to keep it street frinedly. Plan on talking to hamilton cams to find out the right match.

Any advice is appreciated!

I would stay with stock compression, no less. Joker Fab. has a real nice side draft intake that is just the same as a ZZ Fab. one.

Me and megaton both run jokers intake. I'd stay stock compression or a hair higher. Make sure if you run Hamilton cut more valve reliefs than he says to. Pistons slapping valves suck

Me and megaton both run jokers intake. I'd stay stock compression or a hair higher. Make sure if you run Hamilton cut more valve reliefs than he says to. Pistons slapping valves suck

or just find a better cam grind. LOL

cam choice would depend on mods. Usually something with lots of overlap for top end flow loses some power off the line and smokes a bit more. Keeping the compression stock should keep this reasonable.
Keeping the tires glued to the road might become an issue at 1000hp..

If in doubt put a dial gauge on a rocker and measure the clearance via the lash adjustment.
I ran extra valve protrusion with his cyl head, had zero issues. But also had his valvetrain mods so there was no guesswork on what would clear.

For the best head work i recommend Premier Engine Design in Iowa. He has done head work on some of the best pulling trucks in the country. And a bullet cam. What kind of compression are u looking towards?

whats a bullet cam? And i would get in contact with d&j precision in ohio.Drew has got some of the best stuff on the market. And has a sweet intake hes making! If u havent done anything in the injector department yet i can fix u up!

Plan on running compounds not quite worried about that at the moment.
I tried finding some info on the joker fabintake , definitely a better price. Is it fine to run dual cp3's with?

I am debating on which pistons to run though. Not sure if i want to run the newer bowl design or the older. Either choice they will be getting coated.

Id go with open bowl design, or we can cut the 03-04 bowls to give you a little more reliability without the hp loss. I recommend B&B Tooling for the intake. It is an awesome piece and you dont ever have to worry about it cracking. Its very heavy duty. Porting helps too, but if you only have money for intake or port work, go with intake. For injectors, Exergy is the only choice in my opinion. You can reach your goal with a single cp3, but duals will make it easier. As for camshafts, Im still a fan of the stock grind. It works well over 1000hp.

Or you could ditch the 5.9 and build a stock 6.7 with billet rods, exergy's and a big set of s4/500 twins that spool like stock. I like this idea better. LOL