CR head on a 24v block

Dmaisel00

alright guys i know there was some talk of this a few years ago but havent heard of any since. i blew a head gasket the other week and had my head sent off to a machine shop to get checked. well guess what, the damn thing is cracked all over:doh:. can anyone help me with figuring out what i have to do to make one work or where i can get the injector lines. also with my injectors i have now work? what about the new head gasket i have? and the 3 piece manifold i got? and input would be wonderful.
Thanks

Yes it will fit just fine.
You will need custom lines, though.

Mark.

You can get custom crossover tubes from Monster Pump Mike so you can use your stock VP lines and injectors. Going off memory you will need to do minor modification to a coolant passage at the back of the head so it matches the block. There's been a couple threads discussing it with pictures some time back, in the Competiton forum I believe. Someday if I come across a deal on a CR head I am interested in doing this swap, since they are higher CFM especially '06+. And you don't have the raised intrusion in the plenum floor that all VP heads do.

The cr head I found so far is a 05 the guy wants 800 checked and decked. How do I get up with monster pump mike? And thanks for the replies

I didn't find out the 06+ flowed more til after I picked up an 04.5 head for my 98 :doh:. I suppose I'll look for yet another head..

From what I've read 06 heads flow more than the previous commonrails. New cross over tubes from Monster Pump Mike, alittle grinding on water passage, some grinding on head to get push rods in back cylinders. Relocate sensors from head to intake manifold plate. My truck picked up alittle mph when I changed to the 06 head. Thanks Steve B.

Would anyone be willing to contact me directly on how I need to do it and would anyone know how to get ahold of monster pump mike so I can get the new lines I need help as soon as possible the head is currently off my truck due to cracking any help would be greatly appreciated

Where are you located?
Just find the correct head, you'll be further ahead in money and sanity.

Mark.

Get on Car-Part.com and look through salvage yards in your area.
Anything 1998.5-2002 is a direct fit.

Mark.

Found some in PA and some in NC, anywhere from $375 to $600.

Mark.

I'm in Berlin Maryland but I don't have any clue what I need to get or do

Check with Condon's auto parts in Westminster. AJ, the brother of the owner is a Cummins guy and a member of a couple forums

I've found a few 24v heads but they all come out to be cracked. I don't wanna go through any of this again so I'm just thinking about doing the cr head since they hold more and are stronger. But I can't figure out how to get up with monster pump mike to get the tubes and there really isn't much help on here about what has to be done.

Just get a good 04.5 or newer cr head, I would have a machine shop do a good valve job and maybe surface it as well. Once that's all done take your standard 24v head gasket and lay it on top of the bottom side of head and you will see the coolant ports that will need to be massaged over to line up better with the blocks coolant ports, Just use a die grinder with a good carbide bit and be careful not to get to crazy on the material you remove. Make sure to get all the metal shavings out of the head and then it will be ready to bolt on. Just going to need to get some of monster pump mikes cross over tubes and your good to go.

SoDak24 would you happen to have a phone number to monster pump mike or know of anyway I could get ahold of him I've tried internet looking but have not had any luck in finding him

419-237-1521 Mikes # You only have to get the crossover tubes. Thanks Steve B.

It is not necessary for you to bump your own threads. Use the search function before you post. This has been discussed many, many times.

Back