Crack/popping sound?

yoshi470

EDP Janitor
Well heres a little background info to get to where i am at today with this situation. Did the p pump swap last april and the truck hasnt had much time on it all due to some breakdowns including a blown head gasket leading to me having to replace the #6 piston. Finally got that done and the truck back up and running a few months ago but only have put about 20 miles on it since cause i have been plagued by fuel leaks. It has had an ever so slight fuel leak ever since i did the swap last april from the #4 injection line. Last year it would let a drip fall every now and then. Back then i could rev the truck up to around 3700rpm before it start to crack and pop. Now the leak is starting to get worse and will start cracking and popping around 2k if i blurp the throttle quickly. It never did this at all when it was a VP truck. Pump is a 215 and has been to Seth at DPE twice and will flow up to 550cc and i currently have it set at 400cc. First it has 5k springs and they were to touchy for me so i went to 4k springs. I have not messed with the pump at all since hes last had it other than the idle. He said everything looked good in it and it performed great on the flow bench for him. Truck also has DDP250 injectors that havent been touched since i got them. Lines are .093 with stock tubes. Truck has AD150 with 40psi spring and has good pressure.My question is that could a cracked injection line or a bad seal from the injection line to the connector tube cause whats happening to me? Injector related? A guy was telling me how he machines his connector tubes and laps the tubes and lines together for a proper seal....anyone else do this? Any other ideas or suggestions please share with me.

Every once and a while i get one that doesn't want to seal so i remove the line and polish the end with sand paper, then blow it out with carb cleaner, then air. It always seems to stop the leak. I've never had the popping sound, but if you haven't had your injectors set lately, I recommend it. Always seems to make mine idle and run better at light throttle.

Ron

i had a score on the end of the connector tube where the line meets it, causing a tiny fuel leak..just bought a new one for $13 and that fixed it.....its wasnt ppump though so rpms may not have been able to get high enough for a pop/crackle

anyone got any good ways to identify if a line is cracked? I've heard most of the time you cant see a crack....i havent pulled the line off yet but the fuel is coming out right behind the nut where it presses the flare into the connector tube and i was told that if the seal is that bad the fuel will work its way up the threads and leak in that location. I've been in the market for injectors just trying to save up some $$ and do my homework.

anyone got any good ways to identify if a line is cracked? I've heard most of the time you cant see a crack....i havent pulled the line off yet but the fuel is coming out right behind the nut where it presses the flare into the connector tube and i was told that if the seal is that bad the fuel will work its way up the threads and leak in that location. I've been in the market for injectors just trying to save up some $$ and do my homework.

Thats where it leaks if the connector tube has a scratch where the line flare seats into the tube

Try switching #3 and # 4 tubes around and see if the leak stays at 4 or goes to 3. Youll know if its the line or the tube.

I had the same problem. I just kept tightening little by little till they stopped leaking.

Everytime I thought they were tight enough, but each time they'd move just a little.

Whats the timing at? When dose it do it? Warm, cold.......

if the line is cracked and you cant see it take it off put your thumb over one end of it and blow in the other end if you here air it is cracked.
if it is leaking fuel from the theads than change crossover tube o-ring

There is a good chance that the line is cracked. I've had plenty of them crack on me and know others that have had that happen also. Usually it is a hairline crack behind the flair that sometimes you cant even see

my pop high rpm pop was a timing issue, a double check and correct timing did the trick. could be something different for you though, good luck with it!

the pop and cackle could be from an air leak in your boost tubes. sounds strange but i had both of these issues plus many many more. I would focus on the fuel leak first. At a lower rpm I would leak fuel but when in a higher rpm i could hear it sucking air both ways it was a definite miss. once I knew my injectors were seated good I started looking at the fuel tube. sure enough a had a tiny crack couldn't even see but could hear when i blew through it. a new tube took care of the fuel leak. If you get the fuel leak taken care of and it still pops I would check all the clamps and the boost tube boots and your intercooler for any leak at all. fortunately in my case i had a clamp loose for the boot to my intake manifold. Thats all i can tell from my own personal experience. Good luck to you