cracked pistons???

HPAddict

Here's a good one. A friend of mine just bought an 01 f250. a week after he got it the headgaskets gave up the ghost. As the shop was re-assembling the engine, they noticed cracks on the passenger side pistons. Only the passenger side pistons. If you are looking at the pistons, the cracks are at about the 6'oclock position. I'm getting pictures in a minute or so, but what would cause them to crack only on the passenger side?? He doesn't know too much of the previous history of the truck other than that it has banks gauges on it and that the pyro lead was about 3-4 feet down the pipe from the turbo. If all of the pistons were cracked, i could see that, but only the passenger side?? I'm stumped aside from having a nitrous it plumbed into an intake similar to an h2e. Which isn't on there or any tell tale sign mods.....

02-07-08_1757.jpg

That is normal for a motor that has high miles and was used to tow...It won't hurt anything, just make sure the cooling jets are in place and you will be fine.

what would cause it to happen only on one side though? just to prove that I haven't popped my engine yet, what cooling jets are you talking about?? The odo only "shows" 81k

They are just heat cracks and they occure where there is less material on the bowl edge and it will heatup in those areas faster than the larger mass piston body. The cooling jets are tubes located at the botom of each cylinder that shoot oil at the bottom of the piston to keep the assy cool during high temperature loads.