Cracked Timing Housing

Red Sleeper

Please dont SHOOT!!!!

I did my searching about it and didnt find a damn thing. My cousin has a 98 12v 5 spd, 4x4, etc. He went to do the KDP block off and noticed that there was blue RTV already around the timing cover, as if someone had been in there. He is third owner but was unable to ask too much, guy who had it before him passed away.

Anyways, he took off the cover and the pin was gone... Ok, they were already in there and took it out or something. He was cleaning the timing housing of RTV and noticed a crack on the upper left side of the housing. He said only the housing is cracked, he couldnt find any other cracks, he looked below the freeze plugs and nothing.

My questions, the pin was just used in assembly to line up parts right? Nothing critical if its gone.... Right?

The Timing housing, I told him just take it off and heli-arc it. Is this a big no no? We figure worst case the bolt hole dont quite line up and we have to fill the gap with RTV or something due to warpage.

Thanks in Advance
Nick

i have welded up timing covers before. just make sure you keep it flat when you weld it. i have them clamped to the table when i do them.

Sounds like the pin fell out broke the case, and some one rigged it together so it was not their problem. i would put the pin back, weld the case and do it right.

"Anyways, he took off the cover and the pin was gone... Ok, they were already in there and took it out or something. He was cleaning the timing housing of RTV and noticed a crack on the upper left side of the housing. He said only the housing is cracked, he couldnt find any other cracks, he looked below the freeze plugs and nothing.

Doing it "right" would be buying a new case..in my opinion.

"Anyways, he took off the cover and the pin was gone... Ok, they were already in there and took it out or something. He was cleaning the timing housing of RTV and noticed a crack on the upper left side of the housing. He said only the housing is cracked, he couldnt find any other cracks, he looked below the freeze plugs and nothing.

I would agree on a new case, but thats not an option for some. At least a weld is better than gluing it with silicone.

when my KDP fell .i didnt have the time,and my other truck is havin wiring issues ( MICE) so i JB welded it, i know its not right. but its workin till i get the time to replace the case this summer. i think part of his question was do u need that pin? and is it goin to hurt anything not havin it? id like to know as well.

It can be J/B welded too, the case does nothing more than contain the components, changing it requires pulling the cam so most temp fix it.

You need the pin to align the case to the block. If it isn't in there your timing can be affected since the case can walk around.

i have welded up timing covers before. just make sure you keep it flat when you weld it. i have them clamped to the table when i do them.

Ok thanks. Thats what I wanted to hear is that someone else has done it before and had no troubles.

Well he is kinda in a bind. See his other daily driver he sold, truck is DD now but he has a Dakota we did a SAS on. Still street legal but not something he wants to drive around wile hunting down a case.

GRotman, thanks, thats also what I wanted to know.

12valvetaster, he said there are 6 bolts that hold the housing to the block. If the pis is used for alighnment then its no longer needed as long as the bolts are in there. But I guess he would need it when he puts the case back on.... Drift pin could be used as well.......

GRotman, thanks, thats also what I wanted to know.

12valvetaster, he said there are 6 bolts that hold the housing to the block. If the pis is used for alighnment then its no longer needed as long as the bolts are in there. But I guess he would need it when he puts the case back on.... Drift pin could be used as well.......

I would just give Cummins a call. When i bought mine it was under 5 bucks for the pin and tab to hold it.

Isn't the weight of the massive p pump a factor here? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it's weight mostly on the cover? Rear bracket, sure, but???

If that little pin was so pertinent to the case staying in position to support the pump or be otherwise neccessary it wouldnt jiggle around and fall out and break stuff. Also if your replacing the cover with a new one the pin isnt needed to align anything. If they are loose and coming out when I go to tab them I just pull them and toss it in the garbage.

This is just my .02

When I went in to tab mine, the KDP was gone and the case was cobble-fugged with JB weld. It leaks oil, either at the crack or seal. I just see it as a self activating rust inhibitor system.

I suppose if I were to ever take the time to change the cam I'd fix the case.

-Dustin-

i like that rust inhibiter idea..lol that must be why my ford has almost no rust..as for no longer needing the pin, it makes sense cause the supposed weight of the pump would put weight on it and keep it from comin out, which cleary isnt the case.

Back