Cracked valve seats

cumminsrulez

So I've been looking for a head to work over while i dd my truck. And i found one. Its my buddies and he's trying to clean out his shop. He only wants 100 bucks for it. But it has cracked seats. My plan is to make a new plenum on this head, p&p, o ring and build a manifold for it. But i wanted your guys thoughts on if its worth it. I figured with it having cracked seats i could buy larger aftermarket seats and valve for it. But I've heard that if the seats aren't installed correctly (threaded in or pinned) they have a problem with them falling out. so i need your guys thoughts. If its worth the money and it isn't better to just buy a new head then that would be great. If not then I'm gunna have to save more lol

Sent from the Chodster

Last edited:
If it was me I would go to a good local machine shop. Perhaps your buddy would allow you to take it to the machine shop. If not take some pictures and ask if they can fix and guarantee it. If they say yes and the price is good make your decision.

For $100 it's worth it. I have found that nearly every head I've ever sent out that ever saw any high EGTs has at minimum very light cracking in the exhaust valve seats, even if they never displayed any sign of it before. My machine shop has yet to fail me on repair either.

They have bare ones on ebay for under $400.00 ..... bare no nothing ..... I w as thinking about starting there ...... if its not fixable check e bay

That's what I'm thinking. But he lives like 4 hours away lol. Maybe we can drop it off at a machine shop when we meet at the dyno day. The local machine shop screwed me and I'm not going back to them. So I'll go to a shop in Spokane and see what they say. What about unshrouding the valves? Worth it on a 12v?

Sent from the Chodster

I would be careful with porting a 12valve head ..... especially on the exhaust side .... due to a loss in exhaust velocity witch will make spoolong a decent size turbo very difficult ....... unless u go and get a spool flange ...... justwasted time and money there .......... clean it up polish but ddon't over due it ..... I would make sure u cc them to make sure there all the same .......