Crazy Timing happings

Rods

Turbo Crasher
OK this is long but can b usefull , My rpms were dropping alot coming out and would not come up at all stay around 3k in 4rth so I kept bumping my timing at one point I was at 36 and the truck drove great no haze and started fine well I thought what the hay I'll bump it again a few and the dang pump nut locked up and turned the pump , so I had to wait on guages to get it back wright . Next day we set it at 36 my buddy said lets put the stock washers back on the injectors I said ok so were on 36 and truck would not run smoked like a crazy went down to 30 still crazy went to 25 smoke was better butt missed real bad , I told him I'm done for the day so he made a few calls and he said my tubes may b bent going from 20 ths to 60 ths washers so I said ok i try anything now so I put stock tubes in filters and all, truck started better but still had a miss till around 2500 now this was on 21 degrees kinda like a cackle what ever that means , so I went and drilled the tubes to 78ths and removed the filters put them in and started and free reved good , so I bumped my timing 6 degrees truck started fine has a very small cackle down low but goes away went down the road and runs ok , need to hook to the sled and see for sure But that really gave us a hard time I couldnt believe that the tubes and washers could make such a nightmare took us about 4 days to figures it out and im still not sure on some things , going to try some different injectors this week and see, Im just curious on the timing if I need over 30 or stay under 30 , I know I can go higher if I drill my tubes to 93 and the washers but I did have a leak on the tubes thats the main reason we swapped I think we could get by with 40 ths . By some some calculatuions my buddy done with the thin washers I could advance 3 to 5 degrees ..

I'm curious what injectors and washers you run where you can set timing at 30-36* with no idle haze. I've tried F-1 and DDP's and they spray out of the bowl at anything over 22*.

Tim

they spray out of the bowl at anything over 22*.

Tim

At what rpm?

A stock 24V vp truck will run more timing than that and keep the stock injectors spray pattern in the bowl (at 3200 rpm or what ever max stock rpm is)

I run 6x16s thats been narrowed . The lines and tubes and washers determins the haze/timing , I could raise my timing 6 degrees just by making the tubes bigger from stiock to 78-fitlers now did I make more power? I dunno one needs to b on a dyno to confirm max HP/timing , I have a slight haze now but if I open the tubes to 93 it will go away ..If yr running stock lines/tubes then u probaly cant get much over 20 + depending on injector maker too

One may consider pop I take it Don put yrs at a 12v setting hence the 12v conversion .. Does lower pop mean a sooner opening????

Last edited:
I have a p-pumped 24v not a 12v conversion. I also have .093 lines and tubes. At 30* my F-1 6's (modded for p7100) and my DDP 250's (70lpm) haze white smoke like a mod pull truck.

U have Dons converted injectors for a ppump24v correct??

I run a typical 24v injector (sac)so what Don does to his is going to have different affects , I say with yr setup and drag racing mayb the low timing will help keep u in yr tq/hp range, I just like to move my powerband up a little

Well i put a 215 887 pump on my truck this weekend. When I had my 160 pump and 191 dvs with the pump set at 29 my timming with a light was 21. and with .024s With the pump at 29 it was 26 on the light. I put the 887 pump on and set the timming to 25 and with the 191s it was 14 on the light

where can one get the light needed for this? doesn't it work off the injection pulse in the #1 line?

I would like to check mine on a light to see exactly where its firing with the 913 pump, 191's and bigger lines/tubes since I have it set at 27.

Our local diesel shop as the good light just needs the adaptor hes getting it soon.

I done some changes over the few days ,I took the 6x16s out and swaped them for as they are stamped L1 100hp injectors just to see and even with my tubes drill to 93 I cant get much over mid 20s and the poping starts with free revs but on the road its ok with some fuel now they still smoke decent good light greay and my low end is alot better pretty much all around is better and I gained almsot 10lbs of boost , I'm thinking the others are just to big with the pump I have ,,its still only about 1/4 from FF I may open it up but I dont think I will see much I think the injector is putting out all it can , I do have some DDP 200s that I'm going to throw in tonight and see what happens

BTW Thx chad

Last edited:
where can one get the light needed for this? doesn't it work off the injection pulse in the #1 line?

I would like to check mine on a light to see exactly where its firing with the 913 pump, 191's and bigger lines/tubes since I have it set at 27.
This is the one we have. You are right how it works.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=78287&group_ID=1389&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Interesting results...

Would this one work? What size OD are the fuel lines? 1/4"

Ferret Instruments V765-01 Injector Tester - Fuel System Tools
Looks like that one would work fine and its cheaper.
Our local diesel shop as the good light just needs the adaptor hes getting it soon.

I done some changes over the few days ,I took the 6x16s out and swaped them for as they are stamped L1 100hp injectors just to see and even with my tubes drill to 93 I cant get much over mid 20s and the poping starts with free revs but on the road its ok with some fuel now they still smoke decent good light greay and my low end is alot better pretty much all around is better and I gained almsot 10lbs of boost , I'm thinking the others are just to big with the pump I have ,,its still only about 1/4 from FF I may open it up but I dont think I will see much I think the injector is putting out all it can , I do have some DDP 200s that I'm going to throw in tonight and see what happens

BTW Thx chad

Well I tried something different tonight after my timing kept bouncing back 6 or 7 times in a row every time I pulled the gear. So I was just pissed off and just bared the motor over to way more timing than I wanted and of course it dosent bounce back so I bared the motor with the gear broke free to try and retard it. Said the helll with it torqued the nut down fired it up and put a light on it and its at 34* on the light. It still spools great and it really come live at 2500. I took it to 3500 and it was pulling really hard. When I had the timing down I would smoke pretty good just driving it. Now I just have a little haze at idle and next to nothing under normal driving. Im going to re-set the timing tommrow night maybe a so I see 24-25 on the light.Also no more pop with the high timing.

Its been good talking to you and Its good to know there is someone as stupid as me to run so much timming.

One thing I do is zero the pump then remove the nut then set the timing put the puller on and snug it down then take a long punch or screw driver lay it against the puller and tap it and the gear pops off very easy it may move a mm or 2 I know just usesn the puller Iv seen the guage make a complete rotation or more , mark the shaft and gear just to dbl check

Get your injectors set to P-pump pop pressure or its a crap shoot to makem run without missing..... If you don't your just costing your self power

Get your injectors set to P-pump pop pressure or its a crap shoot to makem run without missing..... If you don't your just costing your self power

I'm curious why you think this is necessary? Mine doesn't miss at all and I'm not at ppump pop pressures...

I'm curious why you think this is necessary? Mine doesn't miss at all and I'm not at ppump pop pressures...

i ran off the shelf DDP 250's that were never reset and it ran fine, was just harder to start. with the new DDP's made for the p-pump it starts easier, and has a little more haze...but it runs way better up in the rpms.

I have talked to a few pump shops all the pop of presure affects is timing. They have all said the same thing why? you can just adjust your timing.

Got troque Truck still starts good maybe even faster than it did with my 160 pump at 26 on the light

Humm...

I bumped my timing from 25 to 30 last night and it started right up. Just as fast or faster than before. I thought maybe I went the wrong way on my adj. pump gear, but I didn't. I'm thinking with larger lines, 191's dv's, and high pop pressures that my timing is probably alot lower than I think if checked with a light. I will see how it runs and maybe bump it another 5 degrees and try it...