Crazy Timing happings

That will b true yr pop and my 16s are close I have about 200 over u , Thats were the timing comes in affect but is it good ? I like the statement tho made and heard that its a little harder to maintain the upper RPMS with the higher pop for the pumps sake , I'm going to take a set and lower them to below 12v settings and see what happens with the RPMS

Crazy thing happend to me last night I put the 200s in turnd it over it fired but it wanted to runaway it would hang around 3000 and not come down no matter what. So I ended up backing a click off and it settled , never dont that b4 , have to get exhaust fix b4 any road testing , minor rd test EGTS are about 100deg lower

Last edited:
I'm curious why you think this is necessary? Mine doesn't miss at all and I'm not at ppump pop pressures...

They don't all miss thats the gamble... depending on the shop that built them /how worn they are, 24v injectors can run fine..... BUT.. zIf your tuning for max power get them set so you can use knowledge from others to tune your rig..... It comes down to timeing. I know one can make a educated guess on wher it needs to be but, why not use the knowledged gained from all the 12v guys and time your rig that way?
Personally for what I do a 12v runs fine @16-16.5 With a P-pumped 24v
I need more timeing to compensate for the lower compression. I do not want to twist anyones panties but without getting pops set for your pump,(P or Vp) you will cost your self time and power by not knowing where to start with your tuneing

They don't all miss thats the gamble... depending on the shop that built them /how worn they are, 24v injectors can run fine..... BUT.. zIf your tuning for max power get them set so you can use knowledge from others to tune your rig..... It comes down to timeing. I know one can make a educated guess on wher it needs to be but, why not use the knowledged gained from all the 12v guys and time your rig that way?
Personally for what I do a 12v runs fine @16-16.5 With a P-pumped 24v
I need more timeing to compensate for the lower compression. I do not want to twist anyones panties but without getting pops set for your pump,(P or Vp) you will cost your self time and power by not knowing where to start with your tuneing

And Thats why I say get a timing light. Then you know what its at. Line size tubes, dvs, and pop pres. will all change timing. With my 160 pump set at 29* with .024 dvs I was at 26* on the light then switched to 191s and I was at 21* on the light.

And Thats why I say get a timing light. Then you know what its at. Line size tubes, dvs, and pop pres. will all change timing. With my 160 pump set at 29* with .024 dvs I was at 26* on the light then switched to 191s and I was at 21* on the light.

OK I have never had the oportunity to use a light on a diesel.. Getting pop pressures set I can use a dial indicator to set timeing. If they both work GREAT.... no light get the pops set so you have a starting point at least. Some 24v injectors will run fine some wont at the same timing, just mech tolorances. If you have put the effort into converting why would you not have pop pressures set?

Because of what a few big name injection shops told me. They said why spend the money. Its only work to play with timming, Im not affraid to tune on it. If you tried a light you would be real suprised of what happens with timing with different dvs lines ect.....I put a 215 pump on and it has way less timming loss on the light than a 160 pump.

I should have my timing kit tomorrow so hopefully I can get some numbers too. I'll probably swap the # 1 DV out for a 181 just to see the difference as well...

got the kit yesterday and checked the timing after the truck was loaded on the trailer...

WOW no wonder I'm shooting a flame out the stack!!!! Bumped it another 10 degrees and had an excellent pull last night! May give it a few more degrees for tonight...

So what was it at with the light compared to what you thought you set it at with plunger lift?

Hmm mine was blowing a flame when I was at 20 and 22 degrees. Doesn't do it as bad at 25 now. Maybe I need to go more yet. I def need one of those timing lights to see what I'm actually at.

Because of what a few big name injection shops told me. They said why spend the money. Its only work to play with timming, Im not affraid to tune on it. If you tried a light you would be real suprised of what happens with timing with different dvs lines ect.....I put a 215 pump on and it has way less timming loss on the light than a 160 pump.

I honestly would love to hook a light to one for help in tuning... Back when I was starting to research the parts list 4/5 years ago every big name shop I spoke with said it was kinda critical for the reasons listed above, and I have never had trouble getting mine to run good with the indicator, but still would like to try a light once.

I recently bumped it 5 degrees (just before the light showed up)... So it was set at 30 by plunger lift, only had 22 by the light... So I gave it 5 more...

Jesse where were you putting the sensor on at? Close to the injector as possible? I want to try a little more timing but when I had it set at 38 and had the head off I could see the spray pattern out of the bowl. I was at 34 on saturday but the fuel was backed off a little and I had a 12" flame out the stack something that truck has never seen and the EGT's scared the you know what out of me. Added a little fuel in the heavy and the flame was about 8". BTW Brian was at 38 timing port closure and cut six lines in his number 2 piston down to the first ring in Wahoo.

Within a few inches of my connector tube on the head (first straight section to clamp it on). I will try it at the pump to see the difference later this week.

Jesse where were you putting the sensor on at? Close to the injector as possible? I want to try a little more timing but when I had it set at 38 and had the head off I could see the spray pattern out of the bowl. I was at 34 on saturday but the fuel was backed off a little and I had a 12" flame out the stack something that truck has never seen and the EGT's scared the you know what out of me. Added a little fuel in the heavy and the flame was about 8". BTW Brian was at 38 timing port closure and cut six lines in his number 2 piston down to the first ring in Wahoo.

You can try to run a thinner washer to help the pattern some

Ok we got a light but my setup has changed some pumps 887 and minor mods has 181 dv 4ks 100 plate and some tweaks on the stand and 100 hp injectors , timing by the light is 25, pump timing is 30 , pulls alot better now on top , injectors may b a tad small with this pump my others should b back next week so we'll see if they change and I may add some 191s if needed