Cummins 06 CR Build

Black Diesel

I'm planning on building my 06 completely and had a couple questions. I want to run the wider cone angle injectors from Exergy, BUT I'm not a fan of mixing and matching as far as spray angles and bowl designs go. I plan on doing a full p&p of the head, side draft intake, oversized valves, billet rods, 12mm main studs, etc. This will be a solid build for reliability. Truck isn't a DD anymore, plan on living between 800-850, but want to hit 900 on a max effort tune. My question for you guys is should I just run 03-04 style pistons or qsb 480's in this build or open bowl late 5.9 pistons? Pistons will be coated for sure. I'm new here so I'm anxious to see what you guys have to say/suggest. Thanks!! :pop:

Well I plan on over 1k one day and only want to build it once. All I want to do is change my turbo(s) and fuel and still not have to worry aboutthe bottom end. The built head will just make getting power easier by allowing equal airflow to all cylinders.

Looking forward to hearing some answers on bowl designs and spray angles. Has me curious

From what we have learned to this point is, the only difference with wide angle 6.7 injectors on the non re-entrant 05+ bowls vs wide angle injectors on the 03-04 bowls is a few degrees of timing, no power difference at the rpm the charger maxed out at.

So the short of the long for your goals any pistons will be fine.

How deep are you going on your valve reliefs, that's another factor one should consider.

I plan on talking to bill fletcher on a custom cam to utilize all of the head flowing capability so I'll find out after talking to him. Either piston design will work?

As far as bearings go. What high performance bearings would you guys recommend? Cummins, Mahle, your thoughts?

I'll be glad to drive it and reliability test it for you when it's done. :)

Good luck on the build!

I'll be glad to drive it and reliability test it for you when it's done. :)

Good luck on the build!

Thank you sir! I'm most likely going with Jeff for my trans so maybe I'll be able to stop down and see you guys and Rich.

For a higher hp application would clevite bearings work? Read something on Kings bearings? Just looking at my options. Think I'll run the early style 03-04 piston bowl with the 143* cone angle nozzles from Exergy.

Sounds like you need to hit that search button and spend a few days reading

Most of the stuff you have asked has been covered, some in depth. I know because I have read through alot of it when I was planning out my build.

Bearing, I would use Cummins.
If you are staying with 03-04 bowls, go ahead with the QSB480's

Im with roy. If your close by, you should come by and try out one of our 6.7 conversions or even a 6.4 stroker conversion. There is no comparison on driveability. We also have our own bowl design dedicated to the 6.4/6.7 with 5.9 motorsport spray angle. The spooling capabilities alone are worth the swap. Check out the videos I just posted running an s500 as a single on our 6.4 engine.

Blacksdiesel where are you located? The 6.4 swap sounds like a bad azz setup I just don't know what all would be involved. Would 5.9 rods work? Etc. still use a 5.9 head?

Thank you sir! I'm most likely going with Jeff for my trans so maybe I'll be able to stop down and see you guys and Rich.

For a higher hp application would clevite bearings work? Read something on Kings bearings? Just looking at my options. Think I'll run the early style 03-04 piston bowl with the 143* cone angle nozzles from Exergy.

Good deal! When you get Garmon to do the trans and if you're down here.. Hit me up and I'll slide down there too!!

Cummins bearings should be fine...

If you have the money, get some billet rods and Mahle monotherms and be done with it.. Plus your other list.. Bottom end will be solid..

Blacksdiesel where are you located? The 6.4 swap sounds like a bad azz setup I just don't know what all would be involved. Would 5.9 rods work? Etc. still use a 5.9 head?

Yes we can use the 5.9 head, but I prefer to keep the 6.7 head because of the steam holes.

The 5.9 and 6.7 use the same rods, so no difference there. Just deciding whether you want 12/24v, CR or billet rods. The beauty of the 6.4/6.7 is that it will spool huge single chargers where you normally have to go to twins on a 5.9 to achieve the same level. So with the big single charger, you can get away with stock rod at a much higher hp level. But if its in the budget, billet rods are always a good option.

As for pistons, we still use cast sluminum pistons. We have had a zero failure rate with them.

The cost difference in the 5.9 and 6.7 isnt much at all. We can take your 5.9 for core. The 6.4 is a little more because of the machine work involved.

We are located in Adairsville, Ga. Pm me or call/text if you need more info.

Back