cummins 6bt in a 560

horsinaround9

Anyone out there running a cummins 6bt swapped into a 560 series ?? Looking for info and some pics on the swap. Searched around online and havent found much.

Why a cummins (not saying its not possible because it has been done) but why not use a dt360 or dt466 and use some stock IH parts to put it together. I am currently putting a dt466 in a 560 and it goes together real easy.

I looked into a 4bt into my W450 and the cost for the mounts and adapters was more than the tractor and engine cost me. I'll look for the link to the company that made them.

I decided to get a DT414 and swap it in instead. Like oliverpuller said, much cheaper and can use IH parts.

oliverpuller....what IH adapter plate did you use to mount the engine to the trans? I'm looking for one for mine and can't seem to find a straight answer on what would work.

On mine I used a backing plate from a 1066 but any backing plate will work from a tractor that used the 400 series engine (9/10/1466&86). This only applies to the big bellhousings like found in the M/SM/450/560 and the bigger tractors. I am also using a front cover from a 1066 but I have a tube chassis so I didnt have to worry about frame rails. I belive you can use that cover on a 450 but you will need to grind down the mounting tabs and will only be able to use one bolt if I remember correctly. If you got any more questions let me know and I will try to help.

We got a few 560 around here with pretty stout dt466's in them. Its a real good combination a 560 w a 466. A 12 valve cummins is almost 500 punds lighter than a dt466 and can build power very easy with them. I want to run some light classes. I was looking for some pics and stuff. I know leaman makes the adapter and all to make the cummins swap work in the 560.

Last edited:
I am not trying to talk you out of doing because one of my good friends done one once but you do have look at the cost of using a cummins versus an IH engine ($1100 adapter plate vs. $100 and the cost of getting a flywheel and clutch to work with the cummins). If you want the lighter engine look into the dt360 it uses the same adapter plates that the 466 uses and you can probably find them cheaper than you will find a cummins for (look for a wrecked/old schoolbus). You also have to remember you will probably need to turn 1000-1500 more rpm than the 466 to keep up with it on the track and hope you dont have a real biting track or the big stroke engines will walk away. The exception to this is if your allowed to run it on alky and then turn it about 7K and tell them to kiss your A$$. But in all reality the IH chasis is not cummins friendly if you want to use the cummins an oliver is much easier to go about doing.

Very true its not a cheap swap lol !!! That adapter isnt cheap. 3 disc clutch and steel flywheel are about 3000. The weight difference between the 466 and 360 isnt that much. I would go w a 466 before the 360. Iam leaning to doing a common rail swap. I can get alot of power and torque out of a built common rail motor. Iam not worried about the electronics. Iam thinking of doing a 460. We have a 4500 pound class that it would fit right into. I figure I could run 4500,5500 and 6500. I dont think a little 460 would take the 7500 pound class.

Thanks for the help. I thought that was the case, but not sure and didnt want to buy plates that wouldn't work. I have a set of 986 frame rails that are going to work, but like you said I have to gring down the tab What are you doing for a flywheel and a clutch? I was told you have to use a spacer to space the flywheel away from the engine, pushing it closer to the trans. Any truth to that? Thanks again

Horsinaround9: I don't think I would want to get the 460 above the 5500 pound class with much power and that may be streching it honestly. Check out this class

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/roseannbentley#p/u/7/JJpgQqLE-Ng"]http://www.youtube.com/user/roseannbentley#p/u/7/JJpgQqLE-Ng[/ame]

This class is a 6000 lb and around +/- 1000 hp the IH's in this class use mostly 560 and 666 rears but a few use the 460 rear but they completly gut the rear end and replace it all with billet even the axles to make them hold up to the power they have. these tractors have less stress than a tractors with 500hp lugging hard. Also before you use the commonrail check your class 99% of classes have mechanical injection only rules.

kjp800: I do think that that is the case on the flyweel I had a custom 3 disc made because there was no way a single disc would hold where I want to eventually end up. Kenny's pulling parts in KY made mine for me kinda slow but it looks good waiting on my input shaft now he made it about 3/4 inch too short. Someone told me that he makes a custom flywheel for the application for 700-800 dollars dont hold me too that though it was 2nd hand knowledge.

To be honest I have been wondering the same thing about the 460 rear. I have found several 460s pulling 55-6500 pounds but with turbo 301s and even they have had to do billet rears like you said. I think I would be better off starting with a 560. The class rules are very loose here so I can run electronic injection. The olivers do seem to be much easier-cheaper for a cummins swap. Just the lack of any aftermarket driveline parts steers me away from building one.

I have seen some aftermarket drivelines for the olivers because I was going to build one at first then the IH was just too simple so I went that direction. Check and ask over on pulloff maybe someone there would be able to tell you where they get them.

Back