Cummins Avalanche

dodgeram082500

Hey guys,

I've had a chevy avalanche for a few years now (I know theyre hideous) a beater/hunting vehicle and after 200k miles it has started missing and the tranny has been hurt for quite a while. I know people have done this swap before, but here are the things I am concerned about. You should know this vehicles roll will be the same after the swap just more reliable hopefully. Its a beater if I'm going to park a vehicle in a pasture with angry cattle I'd rather it not be my Rams.
1. I've seen people run mechanical engines on Silverado and similar trucks ,but I would really Like to swap a CR into mine (no offence to the mechanical guys) I just have better access to CR parts
2. is it possible to use the stock IFS and keep my 4x4? I don't use it much ,but I do like knowing its there
3. on the trans tunnel I've heard mixed replys some say you have to modify it others say you don't.
Suggested parts?
This isn't a rushed project ,but I would like to start collecting the parts for the swap. Any help appreciated.

Is this a 1500 or 2500 Avalanche?

Body lift will help with trans fitment and help space the engine up to clear the front diff.

If it were me, i would cut the oil pan and rework it to fit the front diff.

Body lift will help with trans fitment and help space the engine up to clear the front diff.

I had a 4bt in my tahoe and kept the ifs 4x4 for quite awhile before I went straight axle. I just reshaped the oil pan to clear.

This one is a 1500 AV. Never thought about the body lift. how do you guys think a 47RH will work with the IFS

The trans shouldn't make a difference when it comes to the IFS...

I'm currently running a 4bt/built 4l80e in a 03 Tahoe.. 3" body lift helped clear things quite a bit (already had it for the 35s.. but it worked really well for the swap too). It allowed me to lift the engine/trans a good bit which let me keep the oil pan stock.. no issues with hitting the front diff.

You MAY have issues keeping the front and rear diffs together if you plan on doing any mods down the road or abuse the truck... it wont take much to shred the rearend.

If you plan on going common rail... I would say find a wrecked/totaled truck to dissect... use everything... engine, trans, transfercase, wiring, ect... that way you'll have everything you need from the start.. and would probably be cheaper all the way around.

IIRC, there is a wrecked truck on the forum for sale right now for a reasonable price that had been hit hard in the front but no damage to the engine, etc..

Anyways.. def. post pics as things progress.

-Chris

Thanks Chris,
we are looking into finishing the project up by mid to late january next year. Today we got the old drive train out and now I'm glad I'm not hooking all that crap back in more wiring than I ever expected. I'm used to the CR having a good bit ,but these gassers have a crazy amout.

Attachments

• 1069887_586564674700007_1465557955_n.jpg
    1069887_586564674700007_1465557955_n.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 998013_586564691366672_354839212_n.jpg
    998013_586564691366672_354839212_n.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 206234_586564728033335_1324532007_n.jpg
    206234_586564728033335_1324532007_n.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 0
For the record, I love Avalanches. Ever since they came out.

My next concern is the rear setup. Coilover and a 10 bolt. Get a donor truck and use its rear axle but you will have to find a way to add control arms. Unless it's different from my parents suburban, there is no place for leaf springs.

I'm hoping there is a way I can keep or modify the coil over because I love how it rides across a rough pasture but I agree it will probably have rear axle issues

There is a few that have been done. here is a link for you to check out so that you can research who and how. if anything it will help you find out what they have ran into.
Cummins Powered Avalanche

is that a 5.3L or 6.0 engine you removed? and what all does it need?

Some guy in Indiana did a 6B in a black 2500 Avalanche a few years back. Hood stack and all...

Its the 5.3 I'd freshen it up minimum I think it had a firing problem hit a lot harder on bank 1 than bank 2. U1000 and a few other data link failures where showing before we removed ir as well as multi cylinder miss fire compression was good it ran but was weak. Tranny is smoked though

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Some guy in Indiana did a 6B in a black 2500 Avalanche a few years back. Hood stack and all...

Seen it at the 4 wheel jamboree in Indy... I'm sure he will be there again... not a terrible looking truck... but some of the swap was hack iirc.... been a while since I saw it.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0