Cummins conversion at Hellmann Performance

RCCX

Need a sponsor
I was at Joe Hellmanns shop yesterday and seen a twin tubo kit he is building for a 24v cummins in a super duty.The truck is used for heavy towing so the turbos are a hx35 and 3b combo.Joe is almost finished and his work looks great so far.Here are some pics I took.
DSC05756.JPG

DSC05757.JPG

DSC05758.JPG

DSC05759.JPG

DSC05760.JPG

LOOKS GOOD! maybe someday i will get to build my set of twins...

What's with those blue hoses on the turbos? I thought the in thing to use was 90 degree rubber hose....:D

I haven't seen ANYTHING come out of Joe's shop that was not top notch :rockwoot:

I couldn't find any of those foot long black 90's to do some mad fabbing so I just used the stuff that holds when you do eventually spool your "nitrous turbos."

I'm gonna look like a retard for asking this, but how do you hold together the connection between a compressor discharge (without a flange like a S400) and the cold pipe that's between stages? It seems like cold pipe would just move upwards and the hose would blow off?

I agree Joe does first class work. He is very easy to deal with and talk to. Wouldn't expect anything less from him. Thanks

joefarmer said:
I'm gonna look like a retard for asking this, but how do you hold together the connection between a compressor discharge (without a flange like a S400) and the cold pipe that's between stages? It seems like cold pipe would just move upwards and the hose would blow off?

Never had an issue with anyone of my setups like this. All I did was cut/fit/tig a small piece of pipe about a 1/4" thick at the end, then use good hose and good clamps. Some just weld a bead on the ends, I just like my way better.

Jim

joefarmer said:

hose clamps... good ones :)

the old 3B combos were very popular back in the day and are still quite effective.

you probably aren't going to have more than 30psi in the first stage of a mild setup anyhow

The "old days" 3b is making quite the comeback on the 3rd Gen. It's possible to make about 150 more HP on a common rail motor than a 12valve {with the same turbos }. The new technology of the common rail motor makes it very appealing. But until the rpm issue is resolved its just a dyno queen to me. As far as the track is concerned.

Forrest Nearing said:
you probably aren't going to have more than 30psi in the first stage of a mild setup anyhow

Brandon?? Mild??...Mild is not in his vocabulary:hehe:

You've got access to a lathe Brandon...get creative:D

Chris

Throw those pipes on a bead roller and roll the end...that with good clamps should hold just about anything.

I have a bead roller Joe....wanna try that on mine ?

UNBROKEN said:
Throw those pipes on a bead roller and roll the end...that with good clamps should hold just about anything.

I have a bead roller Joe....wanna try that on mine ?
I have a $900 Pexto.
I roll my own bro.:hehe:

Ahhh..got the cheapo stuff huh ? LOL
Kidding...that's what we use at work....mine is about 40 years old and IMHO better than anything I could buy nowdays.

Thanks for the help. I guess my setup will be mild-ish, I want to move ~185 lbs/min. I'll try a bead and hose clamp & see if I need to ask for help again.

Joe got the twins on the conversion done and it came out quite well I think,heres some more pics:

New Image.JPG

New Image1.JPG

New Image2.JPG