Cummins Garrett GT37R turbo experience .

getblown5.9 said:
does anybody know what turbo smokinrod from DTR and jsut about every cummins forum is running...i belive its the GT42R right?

GT4202R - 102mm Major Compressor diameter, or 74.3mm if we rate it like everyone else rates their turbos! Pretty close to the same size as a B2 compressor wheel!

Chris

yeah Rod runs a Gt42R 74 or 76 inducer u here both , The R runs dual bearings but there not ceramic they look like wheel bearings from a racer told me who blew 2 of them up and when they go there junk u cant rebuild them , and bearing turbos are not all the big thing there ok but journal bearing turbos will make the same HP spool time is better but not that much that its worth spending 1000 extra and u cant rebuid it . Turbonetics uses a ceramic single bearing and Innovative makes a dual ceramic bearing turbo , heck iv heard of holsets with bearings in them if u want to spend the money u can have anything made up

Rods said:
yeah Rod runs a Gt42R 74 or 76 inducer u here both , The R runs dual bearings but there not ceramic they look like wheel bearings from a racer told me who blew 2 of them up and when they go there junk u cant rebuild them , and bearing turbos are not all the big thing there ok but journal bearing turbos will make the same HP spool time is better but not that much that its worth spending 1000 extra and u cant rebuid it . Turbonetics uses a ceramic single bearing and Innovative makes a dual ceramic bearing turbo , heck iv heard of holsets with bearings in them if u want to spend the money u can have anything made up

Good post-Rods!:bow:

Rods R has been good to him even @ those boost #s :)) the water CHRA helps to lol , shoot i got a holset with a water CHRA i may need to hook it up

The import guys live by the BB turbos cause there looking for that extra 10th in the 60ft Turbonetics even shows a test and the BB was a hare quicker , it might help the diesel drags if they want that extra 10th or 2

Guys the honest situation is that any turbo can be rebuilt - even the ball bearing ones . Garrett don't want you to know this because they can demand higher prices for a cartridge (bearing housing with guts and wheels fitted - basically everything except the compressor and turbine housings) and its a quick operation to swap the housings onto a new cartridge . No warranty issues because all the internals are new inc the wheels .

Its laughable how simple their BB internals are to disassemble and re assemble , no mucking about with small circlips like in a bush bearing turbo. Ball bearings aside there are less components inside a BB cartridge than a bush one . Its ridiculous how much the price varies between BB and bush/plate turbos because the dual ball bearing pac doesn't owe Garrett anything like $1000 . I reckon if you could buy all the seperate components you could replicate most of the HKS/Garrett range which they don't want you to do . What may eventually put salt in their crack is if the Chinese start making the components and selling them to anyone with the readys (bucks) .

Just back to the GT42R's , GT4202R , Garretts version uses a 53 trim compressor and 84 trim turbine where HKS's version (T51R SPL) uses a 56 trim compressor and 76 trim turbine . Their compressor cover is a custom job and looks to be a larger area radius ratio (AR) than Garretts and at times when they do this the diffuser section inside is larger in diametre which is supposed to help high boost compressor efficiency . Unfortunately they only sell that turbo with one size exhaust housing (1.00AR) which is probably too small for diesels with their lower combustion and EGT .

If anyone does lay their hands on the Stage 1 GT3782R could I possibly see some pics of it with the comp cover removed (at the compressor wheel) and the ID tag which is rivited to the front of the compressor cover on these turbos - I think .

Cheers and thanks , Adrian .

Back