cummins oil filter housing

goingforbroke

hey guys i was wondering if you can switch the oil filter housing from a 24v to a 12v. I would like to use the 24v one on my 12v block and didnt know if you can just swap them over without any problems ? any input would be great thanks Matt

the gaskets are different I believe, you'll get 2 dif gaskets normally in a rebuild kit or w/ a new oil filter housing...this is my experience

The fitting on a 12v is closer to the exhaust manifold and with a steed speed it would hit the manifold. The 24v is towards the edge more so more clearance that's why I changed mine.

Good info right there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fitting on a 12v is closer to the exhaust manifold and with a steed speed it would hit the manifold. The 24v is towards the edge more so more clearance that's why I changed mine.

Just for future info, you can get a m12 o ring on a tight 90 that will clear a steed just fine. I've had to do this on a few twin setups now.

Correct. A 12v cooler won't work on a 24v with a auto. The coolant lines for the trans cooler won't allow you to hook the turbo feed line to it. I also used a 90* fitting on mine when I went to a steed and made a new feed line.

Last edited:
If it were long enough could you turn the stock feed line around and put 90 at filter and the straight end on turbo?

I put a steed speed on my 12v and made a new pressure hose with 90s on each end of the hose. I started having some turbo issues. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but changed to Brad Penn oil and changed oil feed hose to turbo with straight fittings. Tapped and plugged stock port on filter housing, then tapped filtered oil port on filter housing to 1/4" NPT. Problems went away.