cummins swap, 4r100 or 5r110

quadzzeeburnout

not posi's, quadzzee's!!
putting a twelve valve in my 04 f250. Trying to find which trans i should go with. I am afraid of the pcs controller with the 5r based on most peoples reviews. Has anybody got either setup in their truck?? If I go with the 5r, I want to be sure i can use it with my factory tcm as long as I have all necessary sensors hooked up. I have heard people like the 4r with the pcs. Im just not sure...

Last edited:
i like my 4r once you get the pcs worked out its pretty good. pcs themselves are very helpful.. but there again i have no info on the 5r to be helpful.

Rode in a CR powered 08 with a 5R a couple weeks ago. Drove like a dream. Never though It could be programmed that well.

I am glad to here something positive about the 5r110. My parts should be here by Friday.that is what I'm using.

strokethis im guessing you didnt end up having luck with the ford tcm and sct tune? I was reading your old thread yesterday

i should also note that im not planning on goin crazy power with the 12v. Just reliability and mileage more than anything. Prob 4k gov springs, injectors, and maybe a small turbo upgrade down the road. (i know these are the famous last words)

Last edited:
5r can play nice with a stockish CR but dont do it with a 12 valve or high HP CR. I just got done doing a P pumped 24 valve with twins in and 06 and the 5r didnt even make it out of the shop. Called BTS and he said he would not build a 5r even if we wanted him to for that truck. So it is getting the 4r next week from BTS and a new PCS harness.

strokethis im guessing you didnt end up having luck with the ford tcm and sct tune? I was reading your old thread yesterday

With the stock Tcm is was awesome worked just like stock but the 5r really can't handle the low rpm torque of a cummins, I wouldn't really want to take a chance with it I I we're to do it Over again I'd start with the 4r

i had a 5r110 behind my 12v and it was a pain couldnt get it to shift right and wasnt comfortable pushing the motor to the limit, i pulled it and put an nv4500 behind it and couldnt be happier!

I see a ton of conversions that go up for sale with the 5R110 in them and they all say the same thing "needs tweaking" or "needs more adjustments to fine tune" etc, something along those lines.

I'd do a 4R, or better yet, just stick with the trans that is already bolted to the cummins and have that built.

I'm using the 5R100 on my 06 12 valve swap. I'm shooting for 500ish hp. I drove one before I decided to use this tranny, it was not turned up much and shifted a little firm but it wasn't bad. The guy that did the tuning said it was tuned that way for the original owner but that it was completely adjustable. He said it would def take some time and tweaking but with a little patience it can be made to shift exactly how I want. For a competiton truck I'd say a built 4r100 is the way to go but I think my 5r will be just fine for a daily driver