Cummins to Ford Questions

Santa Gertrudis

6.4LTTFMF
Who all can do a Cummins conversion? What kind of round a bout price are you looking at out the door for the complete conversion?

Oh Im not going to be doing this anytime soon, but once its time for the 6.0 to go, Im going for a common rail.

I'm interesting in doing this also ...one day when the time comes.

'bout $10k for engine, accessories, and conversion parts. I am going to end up around $15k with a BTS trans. and a few other goodies, but that is doing it myself, you will have to figure labor (80 hrs) on top of that.

I'm going the other way... A Dodge with a Powerstroke

Haha! Just kiddin'!

A first, yeah, most Cummins outlast the truck!

But how boring would it be if EVERYONE swapped a Cummins into other vehicles? The 6.0 powered Jeep was cool, the DMax H1s are cool too.

Nick

NPloysa said:
A first, yeah, most Cummins outlast the truck!

Nick
Are you tootin a horn fer Cummins or blowing smoke fer Dodge... LOL :bang

Aggie007 said:
'bout $10k for engine, accessories, and conversion parts. I am going to end up around $15k with a BTS trans. and a few other goodies, but that is doing it myself, you will have to figure labor (80 hrs) on top of that.

Add 5-7k in labor cost depending on mods if not doing it yourself.

^^ What Kai said- we are doing a conversion right now and have some more lined up. They are not really hard but are really time consuming and have some tricky parts that can make it even more time consuming if you dont get it right the first time.

So Ive been thinking.....is a CR the way to go or do I need to think about a 12v? Hell, what about a 24v? It will be my daily driver still, so I need reliability for sure. I know 12 valves are easy and cheap to mod, but also hard to find. A CR sounds fun, but would all the electronics converted over make it less reliable?

No, its actually running great! LOL Ive always loved Cummins motors, but wanted a Ford truck, so I opted for the Ford so that later I could build the truck I wanted.

Santa Gertrudis said:
So Ive been thinking.....is a CR the way to go or do I need to think about a 12v? Hell, what about a 24v? It will be my daily driver still, so I need reliability for sure. I know 12 valves are easy and cheap to mod, but also hard to find. A CR sounds fun, but would all the electronics converted over make it less reliable?

Personally, I'd go with a commonrail engine if I were you. The electronics part of the swap isn't as difficult as some people think it is. Just ask DrSpeed, he'll tell you everything you'd need to know about the swap.

Scott

dude you should sell that 6.0 while it still works so it will help pay off your cummins conversion, of keep a working 6.0 for a little light race type car, put it in a ranger or something...
or just sell it

Commonrail!! I've got 10k trouble free miles on my conversion so far. The electronics are not that hard to do.

I agree with Kai - the CR is easy...and the OBDII port makes it really easy to diagnose any problems!