Custom dash in a first gen, how to do it?

Begle1

My original instrument cluster is now down to a functioning voltmeter and oil pressure gauge.

Any insight on the best way to go around to making a full-custom setup? Is Dakota Digital worth the dinero?

I'd like to get a GPS-based odometer/ speedometer, and I'd certainly like to move my boost pressure gauge and pyrometer down off of my A-pillar. I'm undecided on whether I want to keep the tach on the dash or not.

So I need:
Speedo/ Odo
Boost
Pyro
Volts
Oil
Tach (maybe, probably not)

I can probably live with relocating fuel level and coolant temperatures, since those have already been moved along with transmission temperature.

I don't know whether I want to cut out the three holes and make one giant hole... Or loose the wood grain bezel entirely... Or try to get all the gauges I want behind the stock plexiglass.

Attachments

• DSC02225.JPG
    DSC02225.JPG
    487.8 KB · Views: 2
I used to just use my cell phone.
In a cup holder and I'd brace it with crumpled up paper towels, or fast food to go bags.

I need something I can call a "functional odometer" to pass safety inspection, and by the time I glued a cell phone to the dash then that's what a GPS odometer is anyways, right? I'm getting really tired of taking my dash apart every year to make my odometer "functional". Here are pictures from the last three years.

The problem is that something falls off the instrument cluster every time I "fix" it.

Attachments

• 6069.jpg
    6069.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 69.jpg
    69.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 669.jpg
    669.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 8
I ran a Garman in my 1st Gen. it had a resettable odometer in it.

How so?
I haven't had a reliable speedo or odometer for the last 15 years so I'm not exactly a demanding customer.
Because they use GPS satellites.....slow to connect, don't connect when the antenna is covered by something, etc.