Daily Bread

Running A Marathon

ODB RADIO: Listen Now | Download
READ: Philippians 3:12-21

I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. —Philippians 3:14

The Comrades Marathon , which began in 1921, is the oldest ultra-marathon. Covering 90 km (56 miles), it is held annually in South Africa . Bruce Fordyce completely dominated this marathon in the 1980s, winning it nine times between 1981 and 1990. His 1986 record of 5 hours 24 minutes and 7 seconds stood for 21 years before it was finally broken in 2007. It’s amazing to me that he has continued to run in this race every year.

In a sense, we as Christians are all in a marathon. It takes endurance to run and finish the race of life. When the apostle Paul wrote his letter to the Philippians, he spoke of how he was “reaching forward to those things which are ahead” (3:13) and pressing on “toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (v.14).

Our Lord Jesus has set an example of how to run life’s marathon. The Bible tells us that Jesus “for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Heb. 12:2). Despite “hostility from sinners,” He completed His race (v.3).

The secret to finishing well is to look forward to the joy that awaits us after life’s race—eternal life with Him. — C. P. Hia

I ran to meet Him when I heard His call—
The Savior’s arms were open to receive;
And I’m still running since I gave my all,
Inviting others also to believe. —Hess

The Christian’s race is not a competitive event but an endurance run.

Reminders Of Love

READ: John 19:1-7, 16-18

God is love. —1 John 4:8

After the US entered World War II in 1941, Estelle tried to talk her boyfriend Sidney out of joining the Army. But he enlisted and began his training in April of the following year. For the next 3 years he wrote her love letters—525 in all. Then in March 1945, she learned that her beloved fiancé had been killed in combat.

Although Estelle did eventually marry, the memories of her first love lived in her heart. To honor that love, she published a book of Sidney ’s wartime correspondence more than 60 years later.

Like those letters, the Lord has left us with reminders of His love—the Scriptures. He says: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore with loving kindness I have drawn you” (Jer. 31:3).

“As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love” (John 15:9).

The Bible also tells us that “Christ . . . loved the church and gave Himself for her” (Eph. 5:25).

“[Jesus] gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us” (Titus 2:14).

“God is love” (1 John 4:8).

Read God’s Word often and be reminded that Jesus loves you and died for you. — Anne Cetas

With loving kindness I have drawn you,
Proving that My love is true;
Do not neglect to read of that love,
Written in My Word for you. —Verway

Nothing can compare to the love of God.

Journeys

READ: Philippians 1:8-18

I want you to know, brethren, that the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel. —Philippians 1:12

On a map in the back of my Bible, each of Paul’s missionary journeys is shown by a colored line with arrows indicating his direction of travel. On the first three, the arrows lead away from his place of departure and back to a point of return. On the fourth journey, however, Paul was traveling as a prisoner, bound for trial before Caesar, and the arrows point only one direction, ending in Rome .

We might be tempted to call this an unfortunate time in Paul’s life, if it were not for his view that God was leading and using him just as much on this journey as He did on the previous three.

He wrote: “I want you to know, brethren, that the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel, so that it has become evident to the whole palace guard, and to all the rest, that my chains are in Christ; and most of the brethren in the Lord, having become confident by my chains, are much more bold to speak the Word without fear” (Phil. 1:12-14).

Even when our journey in life is marked by confinement and limitations, we can be sure that the Lord will encourage others through us as we speak His Word and trust in Him. — David C. McCasland

The journeys that we take in life,
Though unexpected they may be,
If we commit to follow Christ,
His work through us the world will see. —Sper

For the Christian, what looks like a detour may actually be a new road to blessing.

Einstein’s God

READ: Psalm 19:1-6

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork. —Psalm 19:1

When the great physicist Albert Einstein was asked if he believed in God, he responded: “We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. . . . That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human beings toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws.” Although Einstein marveled at the design he saw in nature, he did not believe in a personal Creator.

The psalmist shared Einstein’s sense of awe about nature but took the next step and believed in the Designer behind the design: “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork” (Ps. 19:1).

The wonder we feel as we behold our universe should serve as a road sign pointing to the One who created it. The Scriptures tell us, “All things were made through [Christ], and without Him nothing was made that was made” (John 1:3).

Are you struggling in your beliefs? Look up at the stars tonight. In the sky is crafted an amazing road sign pointing to the Designer behind the design. — Dennis Fisher

God wrote His autograph
Upon the sky last night,
In the stars I never saw
A signature so bright! —Schoeberlein

Creation’s design points to the Master Designer.

Patience In Prison

READ: Genesis 40:1-14,23

[God] Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” —Hebrews 13:5

Have you ever noticed that other people’s forgetfulness can try your patience? As a college professor, I find my patience stretched when a student forgets to do an assignment that’s clearly spelled out in the syllabus.

In the Old Testament story of Joseph, we see a far worse example of forgetfulness—and we can only imagine how he struggled to be patient as a result.

While in prison, Joseph interpreted a dream of the king’s butler, which led to the man’s release. Joseph told him, “Remember me when it is well with you, and please show kindness to me; make mention of me to Pharaoh, and get me out of this house” (Gen. 40:14). It would seem that after Joseph had helped the butler gain freedom, remembering him would have been high on his “to do” list. But it was 2 years before the butler spoke to Pharaoh about Joseph (41:9). Finally, Joseph was freed.

Imagine the impatience Joseph felt as he waited each day in that dungeon (40:15)—perhaps thinking his only chance at freedom had passed. Yet Joseph had a resource: He had God’s presence (39:21), as do we (Heb. 13:5). When you’re feeling impatient, lean on the God who is always with you. He’ll turn your impatience into patient trust. — Dave Branon

Tune your anxious heart to patience,
Walk by faith where sight is dim;
Loving God, be calm and trustful
And leave everything to Him. —Chambers
Patience means awaiting God’s time without doubting God’s love.

sorry i have not been providing the bread my uncle(the supplier) is dealing with some issues and could use some prayers... his son just got out of the hospital with the swine flu and my uncle is passin kidney stones. any way i have a friend who also sends me devos so here is todays thanks as always for the support... jeremy

I Want It Now!

Don't be greedy, for... the things of this world.
Colossians 3:5 NLT
A big credit card company has a TV commercial with the slogan, 'You can have it all now!' Sound familiar? Not much has changed. Satan said to Adam and Eve, 'If you want that apple, take it.' Leave payday till 'some day.' Go ahead; put it on your credit card. Better yet, get this new, low-interest card and pay nothing for one year. That's right, no interest and no payments for one full year. If you're an overextended family carrying a large credit card debt, don't take the bait. It's time for getting out of debt, not deeper into it. If you want help, try using these four Bible principles:
1) Don't be greedy for the good things of this life, for that is idolatry (Colossians 3:5). Stop craving things you don't need. Instead, try enjoying what you've got.
2) If you're not tithing, start now! You'll be switching from the world's faltering economy to God's fail-safe economy. When you tithe He promises to protect your interests and send blessings 'there shall not be room enough to receive' (Malachi 3:8-12).
3) "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it" (Psalm 24:1 NIV) and He guarantees to "supply all your need… (Philippians 4:19 NKJV). So before you go shopping, try praying! Ask God for what you need and then wait for Him to respond.
4) Begin giving away some of what you've got. "It is possible to give away and become richer… [and] to hold on too tightly and lose everything… the liberal man shall be rich!" (Proverbs 11:24-25 TLB). Go ahead, do it! Obey God, be patient, and watch what happens.

At Whit's End:
As Christians, we should consider ourselves dead and unresponsive to sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desires, and greed. Just like diseased limbs of a tree, these practices must be cut off before they destroy us. We must make a conscious, daily decision to remove anything that supports or feeds these desires and to rely on the Holy Spirit's power. Have you ever noticed that when you "have to have it now," but instead decide to sleep on it, you realize that you didn't need it after all? That should be a lesson to us when it comes to all the world has to offer. If you need it, God will provide.
--Whit

Thank you for doing the daily devotions. More times then not they seem like they're talking directly to me. They help to remind me that I'm going in the right direction. Your uncle and his son are in my prayers.

I was wondering where you had been Jeremy. In the next day or two I was going to post here to ask about you. Good to see you posting these daily devotionals again! Just like tjl said, It seems to be the right reading or verse at the right time for me too. Most of the time it is just what I need that day. He really is all powerful and all knowing, and he always puts things and people in our path that we need. It is up to us wether we embrace it or dismiss it.

So sorry to hear about the troubles your uncle and your cousin(I assume) are having. I will keep them in prayers as well.

Thanks fellas, the prayers and support is greatly appreciated! funny how these seem to talk to u at just the right moment! ;)

Thumps

Count it all joy...
James 1:2 NKJV
Max Lucado writes: "When a potter bakes a pot he checks its solidity by pulling it out of the [furnace] and thumping it. If it 'sings,' it's ready. If it 'thuds,' it's put back in. Character is also checked by thumping… Late night phone calls… grouchy teachers… burnt meals… flat tires… 'you've-got-to-be-kidding' deadlines. Thumps trigger the worst in us… They aren't big enough to be a crisis, but if you get enough of them, watch out. Traffic jams… long lines… empty mailboxes… dirty clothes on the floor… Thump. Thump. Thump. How do you respond? Do you sing or do you thud? Jesus said, "People speak the things that are in their hearts" (Luke 6:45 NCV), and there's nothing like a good thump to reveal the true nature of a heart… it's not in momentary heroics, but in the thump-packed humdrum of day-to-day living. If you've a tendency to 'thud' more than you 'sing,' take heart. There's hope for us 'thudders.' Begin by thanking God… not a half-hearted thank-you… but a rejoicing, jumping-for-joy, thank-you from the bottom of your heart. James says: 'Count it all joy when you fall into various trials… the testing of your faith produces patience.' God's doing the thumping… for your own good… You're going to be tested… you might as well learn from the thumps. See it as an opportunity to develop patience and persistence. Each thump helps or hurts you, depending on how you use it. Be aware of 'thump-slumps'… For all of us there are times during the week when we can anticipate an unusual amount of thumping. Handle them head on… bolster yourself with extra prayer… don't give up… and remember no thump is disastrous. All thumps work together for good when you love and obey God."

At Whit's End:
We can't really know the depth of our character until we see how we react under pressure. It is easy to be kind to others when everything is going well, but can we still be kind when others are treating us unfairly? God wants to make us mature and complete, not to keep us from all pain. Instead of complaining about our struggles, we should see them as opportunities for growth. Thank God for promising to be with you in rough times. Ask Him to help you solve your problems or to give you the strength to endure them. Then be patient. God will not leave you alone with your problems. He will stay close and help you grow.
--Whit

Everyone Sings!

READ: Revelation 5:8-14

Blessing and honor and glory and power be to Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, forever and ever! —Revelation 5:13

Each summer I enjoy attending many of the free outdoor concerts presented in our city. During one performance by a brass band, several of the members briefly introduced themselves and told how much they enjoyed practicing and playing together.

The pleasure of sharing music in community has drawn people together for centuries. As followers of Christ, whether we are in small groups, choirs, or congregations, bringing praise to God is one of the key elements in our own expression of faith. And one day, we’ll be singing in a concert that defies imagination.

In a sweeping vision of the tumultuous events at the end of time, John records a chorus of praise that begins with a few and swells to a company beyond number. In honor of the Lamb of God, who with His blood has redeemed people from every tribe and nation (Rev. 5:9), the song begins at the throne of God, is joined by multiplied thousands of angels, and finally includes every creature in heaven, earth, and sea. Together we will sing, “Blessing and honor and glory and power be to Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, forever and ever!” (v.13).

What a choir! What a concert! What a privilege to start rehearsing today! — David C. McCasland

Give me a spirit of praise, dear Lord,
That I may adore Your name,
Sing praises from a grateful heart
To the One who is always the same. —Dawe

Those who know Christ now will sing His praise forever.

Doing God's Work God's Way

Good works... God prepared in advance for us...
Ephesians 2:10 NIV
Any time you ask, "What on earth am I here for?" the Bible answers "to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do" (Ephesians 2:10 NIV). God created you for a prearranged mission. You're a conscript, not a volunteer. You don't get to decide your calling. And it's a mistake to try and duplicate somebody else's calling.
Remember Moses? God calls him to deliver Israel from Egypt but he tries doing it his own way. Killing an enemy to save an ally's life, he winds up a forty year fugitive. After living in the wilderness and learning his lesson he returns to do God's will - God's way. All of us, not just ordained ministers, are called to do God's work God's way. "But how do I know what my calling is?" you ask.
1) Work with your spiritual gifts. We all receive gifts from God, who "gives them to each one, just as he determines" (1 Corinthians 12:11 NIV). Let God show you through your deepest desires and core competencies where you're best suited to serve.
2) Submit to godly leadership. Your pastor can help equip and guide you. God "gave… pastors… to prepare God's people for works of service… (Ephesians 4:11-12 NIV). We all need help; we can't get there by ourselves.
3) Commit your abilities and resources to building up your local church. God designed our gifts and callings "so that the body of Christ may be built up" (Ephesians 4:12 NIV).
4) Develop a servant spirit. "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others… (1 Peter 4:10 NIV). Don't know your gifts? Start serving, and God will reveal them to you.

At Whit's End:
This is very interesting insight that adds to the conversation we were having last night after church. What we need to understand is we become Christians through God's unmerited grace, not as the result of any effort, ability, intelligent choice, or act of service on our part. However, out of gratitude for these free gift, we will seek to help and serve others with kindness, love, and gentleness, and mot merely to please ourselves. While no action or work we do can help us earn salvation, God's intention is that our salvation will results in acts of service. We are not saved merely for our own benefit but to serve Christ and build up the church. Simply put, when we realize that our lives are served for His purpose instead of our own, we mature in our beliefs and that, in turn, leads to benefits that are "out of this world!"

No one can serve two masters. —Matthew 6:24

A gripping photograph of an old woman sitting in a pile of garbage made me ponder. She was smiling as she ate a packet of food she had foraged from the garbage dump. It took so little for the woman to be satisfied.

There is much talk about a struggling economy and the cost of living going higher. And many are getting increasingly anxious about their livelihood. Is it possible to heed our Lord Jesus’ teaching in Matthew 6:25, “Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on”?

Our Lord was not saying that we don’t need to work, that we don’t need to eat, or that we shouldn’t bother about how we dress. He was warning against those things becoming so important that we become slaves of money instead of trusting Him. “No one can serve two masters,” He said (v.24).

Seeking first “the kingdom of God and His righteousness” (v.33) is recognizing that no matter how much effort we expend to make a better life for ourselves and our families, ultimately it is the Lord who takes care of our needs. And since God is our heavenly Father, we will have enough. — C. P. Hia
Hidden in the hollow of His blessed hand,
Never foe can follow, never traitor stand;
Not a surge of worry, not a shade of care,
Not a blast of hurry touch the spirit there. —Havergal

Money serves us well if we receive it as God’s provision.

Whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. -John 14:13

In 2008, the Day of Discovery film crew traveled to China on a special assignment-to retrace the life of missionary Eric Liddell, the 1924 Olympic gold medalist whose story was told in the movie Chariots of Fire. The crew took with them Eric's three daughters, Patricia, Heather, and Maureen-allowing them to revisit some of the places where the two older sisters had lived in China. Also along on the trip was their elderly Aunt Louise.

On one occasion, after the entourage had arrived in Beijing, they had to walk quite a distance with their luggage. As they did, Aunt Louise grew short of breath. Julie Richardson, a Day of Discovery crew member, sat down beside her, put her hand on her knee, and prayed simply, "Dear Jesus, help Aunt Louise to breathe." Immediately, she began to catch her breath.

Later, Heather retold the story and shared that Julie's prayer had rekindled her faith. Julie's simple act of faith reminded Heather of the continual connection we have with Jesus-a reality she had set aside in her life.

Sometimes we need reminders that God is near. When trials come and God seems far away, remember Julie's prayer and the truth that we are just one prayer from connecting with the God of the universe (John 14:13). - Dave Branon<http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/our-daily-bread/Dave-Branon.aspx>

God answers prayer, it is His sovereign way
To freely give His blessings day by day;
One earnest plea and lo! from heaven's throne
The answer comes, for God has heard His own. -Anon.

God delights in the earnest prayers of His people.

Beware Of Jumping To Conclusions

READ: Joshua 22:10-34

Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry, for anger rests in the bosom of fools. —Ecclesiastes 7:9

The e-mail contained nothing but Bible verses, and it came from someone I didn’t know very well at a time when there was disagreement among members of a church committee I was on. I assumed that the verses were aimed at me in an accusing way, and I was angry that someone who didn’t know all the issues involved would use Scripture to attack me.

Before I could retaliate, my husband, Jay, suggested I give her the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming the worst. “Perhaps there’s an innocent explanation,” he said. I couldn’t imagine what it would be, but I followed his advice and called. “Thank you so much for calling,” she said. “My computer has a virus and it spewed out e-mails using pieces of our Sunday school lesson to random people in my address book.” Gulp. I’m thankful that God used Jay to keep me from creating a problem where none existed.

By jumping to a conclusion that was logical but untrue, I came dangerously close to unnecessary conflict. The Israelites did the same thing. They were ready to go to war because they wrongly assumed that the altar built by their brothers was a sign of rebellion against God (Josh. 22:9-34). To avoid making wrong judgments, we must be careful to get the facts right. — Julie Ackerman Link

When you’re forming your opinions,
Do it carefully—go slow;
Hasty judgments oft are followed
By regretting—that I know. —Anon.

To avoid an embarrassing fall, don’t jump to a wrong conclusion.

Struggling To Kneel

READ: Colossians 4:1-12

Always laboring fervently for you in prayers, that you may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God. —Col. 4:12

Just before John Ashcroft was being sworn in as a US senator, he met with family and friends for prayer. As they gathered around him, he saw his dad trying to get up from the couch where he sat. Since his father was in frail health, Ashcroft told him, “That’s okay, Dad. You don’t have to stand up to pray for me.” His father replied, “I’m not struggling to stand up. I’m struggling to kneel.”

His father’s effort reminds me of the exertion it sometimes takes to intercede for a fellow believer. In Colossians, Paul refers to Epaphras as a bondservant who is “always laboring fervently for you in prayers, that you may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God” (Col. 4:12). “Laboring fervently” is the translation of a Greek word from which we get our word agony. It was used of wrestlers who in the Greek gymnastic games strained to overcome an opponent.

Epaphras interceded for other believers to become mature in their walk with the Savior. Asking God to overcome obstacles to spiritual growth in the lives of others requires our concentration and discipline. Are we willing to labor “fervently” in prayer to ask God to meet the needs of our loved ones? — Dennis Fisher

There’s a holy, high vocation
Needing workers everywhere;
’Tis the highest form of service,
’Tis the ministry of prayer. —Woodworth

Intercessory prayer is life’s real work.

'where's My Heart?'

Where your treasure is, there your heart will be...
Matthew 6:21 NIV
William Randolph Hearst lived in Hearst Castle . It was 90,000 square feet sitting on 265,000 acres. At one time he owned 50 miles of California coastline. And he collected 'stuff' for 88 years. He had 3500-year-old Egyptian statues, medieval Flemish tapestries, centuries-old hand-carved ceilings, and some of the greatest works of art of all time. After eight decades of collecting stuff William Hearst died. Now people go through his house by the thousands and they all say the same thing: 'Wow, he sure had a lot of stuff.'
We go through life, get stuff, then die, leaving all our stuff behind. And what happens to it? Our kids argue over it. Our kids, who haven't died yet, go through our stuff. Like vultures, they decide which stuff they want to take to their houses. They say to themselves, "Now this is my stuff," then they die and new vultures come to get it. Nations go to war over stuff, families are split apart over stuff. Husbands and wives argue more about stuff than any other single issue. Prisons are full of street thugs and CEO's who committed crimes to acquire it. Why? It's only stuff.
This is what Jesus was addressing when He said, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:19-21 NIV). Now, having read those words, ask yourself the question, "Where's my heart?"

At Whit's End:
Storing up treasures in Heaven is not limited to tithing but is accomplished by all acts of obedience to God. When you give of your time, talent, AND treasure, you will experience God's blessing. Giving money to God's work is like investing in Heaven, but our intention should be to seek the fulfillment of God's purpose in all we do, not merely what we do with our money. With all that in mind, how are you doing in offering your time, talent, and treasure to the Lord?
--Whit

Expectancy

READ: Matthew 7:7-11

If you . . . know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! —Matthew 7:11

With a handful of Cheerios, I tip-toed across the deck in my backyard trying to sneak up on the fish in the pond. Perhaps it was my shadow on the water . . . or maybe I wasn’t as sneaky as I thought. As I approached the railing, 15 enormous goldfish raced toward me, their large mouths frantically opening and closing in eager anticipation of an expected treat.

So, why did the fish so furiously flap their fins? Because my mere presence set off a conditioned response in their tiny fish brains that told them I had something special to give them.

If only we always had such a response to God and His desire to give us good gifts—a response based on our past experience with Him that flows from a deep-seated knowledge of His character.

Missionary William Carey stated: “Expect great things from God. Attempt great things for God.” God desires to equip us perfectly for what He wants us to do, and He invites us to “come boldly” to find mercy and grace in time of need (Heb. 4:16).

When we as God’s children are living in faith, we can have an exciting expectancy and a quiet confidence that God will give us exactly what we need, when we need it (Matt. 7:8-11). — Cindy Hess Kasper

When with expectancy we pray
According to God’s will,
We’ll see Him working in our lives
His purpose to fulfill. —Sper

Prayer without expectancy is unbelief in disguise.

Music Of The Soul

READ: Ephesians 5:15-21

Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord. —Ephesians 5:19

In his book Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain, Oliver Sacks devotes a chapter to the therapeutic role of music with people suffering from Alzheimer’s. He writes of watching people with advanced dementia respond to songs that bring back memories that had seemed lost to them: “Faces assume expression as the old music is recognized and its emotional power felt. One or two people, perhaps, start to sing along, others join them and soon the entire group—many of them virtually speechless before—is singing together, as much as they are able.”

I have seen this occur at Sunday morning services in the Alzheimer’s care facility where my wife’s mother lives. Perhaps you’ve experienced it with a loved one whose mind is clouded, and a song calls forth an awareness from deep within.

Paul encouraged the Christians in Ephesus to “be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord” (Eph. 5:18-19). Songs that glorify God can reach the deepest level where the meaning never fades. More than words, harmony, or conscious thought, such music is good for the heart and soul. — David C. McCasland

There’s wondrous music in my soul
Since Jesus’ blood has made me whole;
Now my heart sings His songs of praise
For all His blessings all my days. —Hess

A heart in tune with God can’t help but sing His praise.