dana 60 front locker without cad collar.

Fairchildbr

What's everyone running for a locker in the front without the cad system? Right now I'm running a welded carrier and a pull cable on the cad fork and it works okay but I want to get rid of the whole cad system and go with a 1 piece axle on the right side and I know I cant steer the way it is locked in so I was wondering how you all were locking the front and still being able to steer.

I have a welded carrier with locking hubs. I used the Warn Super strength ones, and my girlfriend runs out and locks one in on the track. I have only broken one but they are lifetime warranty.

I run a posi unit out of a d60 rear with the clutches restacked in one truck and a dana trutrac in the other

Are their issues with running lock outs VS locker? , kind of in the same boact...getting to upgrade my front end with 35 spline and not for sure what is the best way....obviously the locker is going to be spendy...about 650ish.

I used an Eaton E-Locker and 35 spline 1 piece axel. It was several years ago so I don't remember what it was for price but I remember the first time I ever used it I thought it was money well spent.

What did that cosy you if u don't mind me asking?

Under a grand including axles and hubs.

I bought a complete 80's SRW Chevy D60, used the spindles, hubs, brake rotors, calipers, and caliper bracket from the Chevy on the Dodge knuckle. You have to cut the $hit outta the Dodge knuckle to get the old caliper brackets off and get the Chevy caliper to fit over, then drill a couple holes in the Chevy spindles, but it works. I used a sawzall.

Then I used the Chevy 30 spline outer axles on a set of 35 spline inner axles that were sourced from a Ford application. I can't remember what they came out of but you can find D60 axle lengths online if you look enough. Pirate 4x4 has a ton of info. For the carrier I used the Chevy 35 spline and welded it up. A set of Super Duty Warns and it was good to roll.

I bought the Chevy D60 for ~$400
2 inner axles were about ~$150
Hubs were about ~$250
Misc seals and hardware for like 50 bucks.
Re-sold the Chevy D60 housing for $200
Sold my good Dodge unit bearings for $100.

It was a ton of work and it took me a while to get it figured out, but it works great!! Would ordering a locker and a set of axles from Yukon or something been easier? Defiantly. But I love these kinds of projects and I had a blast piecing it together.

Running a spool will work fine with the one-piece RH axle, but you will need to run lockout hubs on both sides.

To everyone running a locker how is it steering wise? I know welded like it is now when locked it impossible to steer

I am running a grizzly zip locker, 35 spline cad delete 4340 axles and a free spin kit with drive flanges. I also run hydraulic steering. The zip locker defaults to lock, meaning its locked until you release it with air. Its been pretty solid.

I tried running a lockout on the driver's side and drive flange (puck) on passenger side. Ended up replacing puck with a lockout. My class rules do not allow hyd steering.

Running true tracs in both of my trucks and they steer great in 4wd (no problems manuvering in the pits at all) and both trucks still have factory steering and so far so good for the last 4years now.

Last edited: