Dana 60 or Dana 70 for front axle ?

dmaxalliTech

Dmax re-engineer
Got access to both.

Dana 60 happens to be a high pinion and kingpin style. would get all the goodies of course

Dana 70 has the closed knuckle joints.

Which one gets the vote?

dmaxalliTech said:
Got access to both.

Dana 60 happens to be a high pinion and kingpin style. would get all the goodies of course

Dana 70 has the closed knuckle joints.

Which one gets the vote?
A 70 takes a lot of abuse in 2 wheel drive, a 60 will only see half the load.

60 Kingpin put big inner shafts 35 outers and roll! Closed knuckles have small axle shaft joints.
Brandon

I have also heard close knuckes are pretty weak. Go with the 60, but I wouldn't put the big outers in till you break the other ones. My $.02.

Put the big outers and solid hubs if you want it bomb proof. If not you WILL break short side outers and pop hubs left and right.
Brandon

Go with the 60, do you know if it's out of a dodge or a chevy if it's out of a dodge you need to change some things around to run the 35 splined outers and the large lock out's. The dodge hubs are small and not big enough to run the larger lockouts or drive flanges.

I have set up a hand full of first gens with the good hubs and shafts if you need anything let me know.

The 60 is from a 79 Ford. Its a High Pinion unit, not sure if thats good or bad. I already figured on 35 splines and drive flanges with some type of locker.

That is a good choice,the pumpkin is on the right side for the Chevy transfer case.(If you are going to run a stock x case;) )

I have a '79 D60 siting in my garage waiting for a project.

ok, So I'll stick with the Dana 60 for the front, I hope I can get gears to match the 106 in the back..

Wolf, the Profab dont care what side the pig is on.:ft:

78-79 Ford HP 60 is the best axle you can run for the money, chromoly axles, 35 spline inner and outers, detroit locker and a set of drive flanges.....and you got a BEAST of an axle.....

a closed knuckle 70 is about as strong as a dana 44, NOW if it was an open knuckle, those are amazingly strong.....

you can also take a REAR dana 70 center section and offset it to the driverside and stick dana 60 steering knuckles on the axles ends and you got a pretty healthy axle also.....but thats all custom work......

What gears are you running in the 106?????

cause you can get about anything for a 60.....

I believe the 106 has 6.20's in it.

I have not found anything higher numerically then 5.38 for the high pinion 60. All the way to 7.17 for the standard unit.

Might look for some different cogs for the 106 I guess.

Just keep in mind that you may not be allowed to run a Dana 70 in the front per the rules, you'd have to look at the rules wording but I think the front axle has to be out of a 1 ton or lighter truck.

If they allow the 106 in the back, the front should be no problem:poke:

Up in the air on class..... But to be honest, I never gave that a thought regardless. I honestly cant think of anything they put that 70 in for the front in pickup world...

the closed knuckle 70's came in dodges.....some machinery came with open knuckle dana 70's.....hard to find though....

just stick with a 60 with good parts:

these are prices from Dynatrac.....

Pro 60 Competition Alloy axleshaft set which includes both left and right inner and outer shafts along with CTM u-joints are 1,800.00 plus tax and shipping......

i am waiting on the 40 spline outer prices and the prices for the 35 and 40 spline driveflanges......

Eric in your class do they allow a solid axle swap,or do you have to keep the factory suspension for the trucks year.

jackholes never called me back from dynatrac for the 40 spline and drive flange prices.....