Dana 80 Questions

HotRodTractor

Overfueled? Maybe?
I have a D80 dually axle out a Ford F350 with the metric lug pattern that is currently mounted in the back of the pulling truck. I keep breaking drivetrain components this year and Saturday's part of choice was an axle shaft. Can I get SCS axles for a Ford dually axle? Is it possible to change the hubs to the standard bolt pattern (8 x 6.5) for possible use in the back of a new chassis that I am currently building? I don't want to sink a bunch of money into this axle unless I can use it down the road, and one thing that is on the cutting block is the 8x170 bolt pattern.

Thanks,
Jason

Axles should be reusable it you go with two piece axles. You would just have to buy new drive hubs.

i know scs makes some for a ford dually not sure on bolt pattern change

If you are not concerned about brakes, you should be able to use Dodge hubs on it and get the 8 on 6.5" pattern.

-Tom

Does anyone have any pics of the the hubs on a dodge dana 80 dually axle? I'm starting to wonder if I can adapt the Ford rotor to work with the Dodge hub. I don't need to use the brakes as it is right now, but I would like that option if I put a bigger charger on it and need to hold it some to get it to light....

Jason

Does anyone have any pics of the the hubs on a dodge dana 80 dually axle? I'm starting to wonder if I can adapt the Ford rotor to work with the Dodge hub. I don't need to use the brakes as it is right now, but I would like that option if I put a bigger charger on it and need to hold it some to get it to light....

Jason

Most places in street class require hyrdaulic brakes at 4 wheels.

No need to worry about a street class for me :D 3.0" turbo with a stack out of the hood come next season.

Jason

I believe the dana 80 axle ends are all the same, but the hubs are make specific, so they should interchange between the housings.

-Tom

I believe the dana 80 axle ends are all the same, but the hubs are make specific, so they should interchange between the housings.

-Tom

When I was researching this, the bolt pattern on the axle was different, as well as the lengths. This was a few years back so I won't swear by it.

I wall looking into buying a 37 spline stock ford axle and put it in my dodge rear and the lengths and the flanges were different.

If he used a Dodge hub, he could use the dodge axle, or have a custom length axle made. SCS I'm sure could do that.

-Tom

I understand. I was misunderstanding. Wasn't following you meant the machined end of the axle tube.

Yeah, he said brakes don't matter anyway. I have not had brakes on mine for over a year, they just get in the way...:)

-Tom

Hmmmm.... I think I need to go do some measuring. At the end of the day I think I might be better off just getting a 37 spline axle with the 8x6.5 bolt pattern. This Ford axle is a 35 spline, which means the carrier would have to change, the hubs would need to change, most likely custom length axle shafts....... I've got one more stock axle shaft I am going to throw at it and see what happens. In the meantime I'll start measuring and seeing how hard it will be to interchange.

Thanks for the help guys!
Jason

To add another spin to the mix this axle is out of a cab and chassis truck which I think makes it narrower than the pick up axle...... Yet another variation....

Jason

Axle shafts are the same lenght from a cab and chassis as the SRW.

I have a f350 chassis cab rear end for my truck. I bought a 37 spline ARB to put in it. The only place to get 37 spline axles is from Haisly and they make 36" for the single dodge and 39" for the dually. They are made by a company out in CAL. The Ford rear end shaft measure like 36 1/8 on the short side and like 37 5/8 on the long side. The splines on the Haisley axles are only 2" so if you cut the 39" down you would not have enough splines left. SCS can make you axle shafts in the right lengtht for the Ford rear end, but only in a 35 spline. Or you could get the axle tubes shortened to 36" shafts on both sides and use the Haisley axles. Which I haven't been able to find anyone that can shorten the DANA 80 as it is too big for most shops.

I can call you if you want to know my process. I would also like to know if you find a way to get this done with 37 spline as I may not have called the right people.

Jeremy

maybe try ctm racing I know he can do some pretty custom stuff pulse hes a nice guy to talk to.