Dead pedal, lots of white smoke no power

nickg9785

Ok so at work we have a 2003 cummins. Starts up and idles perfect. No smoke or anything, when you drive it easy it seems find but when you go to accelerate hard it falls on its face and will smoke out the street with the amount of white smoke and it also clatters really bad when this is all happening. I replaced the fuel filter, checked the fuel pressure it's about 6psi at idle but it drops when you accelerate. I have been told this is normal but it seems kind of low to me. Also when I turn the key off it drops fuel pressure instantly I would think it should hold pressure for a little while. Rail pressure is good I check that. And ideas guys? I'm thinking its the lift pump but people are telling me those numbers are normal. Thanks

Have you checked anything on the air side of things? Boost leaks, clogged filter? When you say no codes, has this been verified with a scan tool?

I have a snap on solus here at work. Has no codes. Filter is not clogged. I haven't checked for boost leaks but according to the scanner I can watch the boost increase but then drops off when it falls on its face

Also what should fuel pressure be and the pump only runs does like 2 seconds and once it stops the pressure drops off. This is with the truck off

may not be your problem, and its an expensive piece just to throw on to see if it fixes it, but check the fuel rail pressure releif valve. when we first started getting the new ISX15 CR, they were going bad alot. wouldnt throw a code, but very clattery and smoked when you gave it throttle. some were hard to start. had a hand full of the 3.9 ISB CR's that did the same thing.