Death Wobble

mcginty9

I got the common death wobble, I have put new moog upper and lower ball joints, 08 steering upgrade, steering box, track bar bushings, BD steering box brace, I heard bfg A/T cause it and i had those so i got new tires and wheels. I just had a alignment and balnce done on the tires, and the steering is still floppy and gets the wobble, any suggestions? The only left is the control arm bushings i guess?
Thanks
Fletcher

yes check the control arm bushings and the bolts for wear also check caster angle

I dont know if u have replaced the stabilizer shock (or what ever its called). But my dads 05 common rail would shack u off the road if u hit a bump at high speeds, really just did it once on the interstate.

But my buddys 06 mega cab did it quit a few times and it only had like 10-15k miles on the truck, until he replaced the shock. It wasnt a good filling when u was hammered down in 4th or 5th gear and it would start trying to shack the truck apart!

i forgot to add, i did replace the shocks and steering shock recently with rancho 5000s

I did everything you did and bought new NON bfgoodrich tires and it went away. Make sure new ones are E load rated

I did everything you did and bought new NON bfgoodrich tires and it went away. Make sure new ones are E load rated

BFG muds killed my front end just recently..

i agree with this.. went with the all terrains, and on my dads with 45K on one set and 15K on the second, have had no issues.. all parts are moog tho and a bilstein stabilizer..

i forgot to add, i did replace the shocks and steering shock recently with rancho 5000s

you were probably better off with bilsteins..

or if you insist on ranch, the 9000s are excellent... Monroes believe it or not work really well on our trucks too, and are much cheaper than the 5000s you went with, and IMHO better suited.. (the yellow heavy duty ones at least)

well i ordered a skyjacker dual steering shocks, i did new tires a while back, put 35 nitto trail trapplers

I had a custom track bar made with heim joints. Haven't drag raced with it yet but seemed to take care of it on the highway crossing bridge joints. I also have bd steering brace and dt profab control arms!

+1 on the BFG's. I switched to Nitto's and the shake disappeared... After huge $ on front parts, some more than once

just like fiveaces said, check caster angle. if u have a negative caster, u could have the "shopping cart" effect (where when u go fast, the trailing tires start to wobble). i have 13'' of suspension lift and set my caster as much positive as i can (but thats my preference). I see u are running 35's does that mean u are lifted somewhat? control arm angle also plays a big factor in DW. some other small contributors would be tire pressure and maybe toe-in/out. if u toe-out just a hair, might help in getting rid of DW. all of these ive messed around with and depending on your suspension/steering/rims tires setup, some of this suggestions might help u out. like i said it might not be a guarantee fix in your case, but it helped in mine. hope this helps buddy

Caster angle. Lowering my truck and running shorter upper arms screwed mine up so bad, I couldn't go over speed bumps at 5mph without the wheel getting ripped out of my hands.

If yours are still stock, check the cam bolts (caster adjustment bolts on arms), and arm bushing.

You didn't mention if you had new tie rod ends either, so you could check that.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Check the ball joints again. I've read Moog's were horrible.. I went with Dynatrac's after experiencing death wobble at 95mph.... wasn't a very good feeling! Also sounds like front caster. You don't want the upper and lower ball joints directly inline, you want the top slightly kicked back and bottom slightly forward. Slightly..

Check the ball joints again. I've read Moog's were horrible.. I went with Dynatrac's after experiencing death wobble at 95mph.... wasn't a very good feeling! Also sounds like front caster. You don't want the upper and lower ball joints directly inline, you want the top slightly kicked back and bottom slightly forward. Slightly..

Ditto!! I had put Moogs in on both sides more than once. The last time they went bad, I spent the money on the Dynatracs and there is no more wobble. Another thing to check is play in the steering shaft. If your power steering gear box is weeping fluid there is enough play to start the wobble. Borgeson will clear that up for you!!

Get rid of the rancho stab and get the bilstein one specific for the rams. Also ditch the bfg's, dodges hate them. I'd recommend toyo mt or Yokohama geolanders if your willing to run a d rated tire.

change out your ball joints and steering joints and you'll get it fixed.. make sure the caster is in atleast the -4 range