Degreeing a cam

schaef_12

Diesel Junkie
Getting ready for an H2 cam install and was wondering what your thoughts are on degreeing the cam. I searched and there doesn't seem to be alot of info on the subject. It also seems to me that alot of cam's get installed without being degreed. So i guess the ? is degree the cam or not?

Seems to me like since the cam is made to run with the cam gear lined up with the stock cam gear mark on the crank, and with the keyway on the cam shaft that you should leave it that way. The lobes are designed to operate the valves ideally with all of it lined up like the factory had it.

Getting ready for an H2 cam install and was wondering what your thoughts are on degreeing the cam. I searched and there doesn't seem to be alot of info on the subject. It also seems to me that alot of cam's get installed without being degreed. So i guess the ? is degree the cam or not?

One of the benefits of the H2 is that it is keyed and doesnt need to be degreed. You just have to press the gear off of the stock cam, and press it onto the new cam. The cam gear and the crank gear have a mark on them. Just line up the marks correctly and youre good to go. Its pretty straight forward.

Thank you, that makes sense, I was just confused by the cam degreeing keys that are offered.

Keep in mind you can install it 180* out with the dots lined up correctly and the intake will opening when the piston is coming up instead of down:badidea:......just thought I would throw that in there as well. :)

Joe

Im pretty sure if the dots are lined up, that it cant be off. The crank rotates twice for every rotation of the camshaft, and in my head as long as those dots are lined up, you are fine.

the spot on the crank that has one dot lines up with the spot on the cam that has two dots.

It depends on were you want the cam to work in the rpm range if you want to retard or advance the cam timing.there are alot of reason to degree a cam in.depend on the setup of the truck it going in and what it's going to be used for.If it has,twin,single charger.pump timing,injectors,clutch,automatic,what gears you have.

Dale

Im pretty sure if the dots are lined up, that it cant be off. The crank rotates twice for every rotation of the camshaft, and in my head as long as those dots are lined up, you are fine.

Trust me, it can be installed 180* out. You mentioned the reason in your second sentence and I am glad I caught that mistake before I put the head on my engine.

Joe

If the o's are lined up correctly you can't have the cam 180 degrees out. When you have the KEY WAY on the crankshaft at 12 oclock your NUMBER 1& 6 piston will be at TDC this will not change. If your o's are lined up you will need to ROTATE the CRANKSHAFT twice for them to realign. Thats why the o's are marked on the gears. Very simple. Just my $.02. Thanks Steve B.