delay in lock-up?

B18B1LS1

My DTT 47rh seems to have a slight delay in lock-up when I flip the switch. Locks hard and holds fine, it just isn't instant like I'm used to. Any ideas? Surely it's not normal.

Depends on how much of a delay, second or two is normal! Remember even though you are grounding a solenoid your still doing it through the PCM, if it were hooked up directly it would be near instant.

Jim

My lock up has a delay but its only a second, maybe even less, but I would check your connections, if yours takes longer

Mine used to lockup pretty much instantly. As soon as i hit the switch it locked.

I broke my input shaft, and put a new billet one in myself. I kept the same converter, and i didnt replace anything else. I think the shaft must have slightly hurt my pump or converter because now i have a pretty good delay when i lock it up. It especially doesent like to lockup at higher RPM now. Although it does still lock up just fine under normal driving conditions.

Anyways, I dont know exactly what causes it, but thought that would give you something to think about.

Eric

Depends on how much of a delay, second or two is normal! Remember even though you are grounding a solenoid your still doing it through the PCM, if it were hooked up directly it would be near instant.

Jim

It is wired directly to the solenoid, I put a RH into my 97. My stock RE was through the PCM like normal, and it was pretty much instant when I hit the switch.

I have heard that a slight delay is normal.

Has anyone installed a 33ohm resistor between the toggle and ground?
I talked to Brad Ponci and he says the resistor makes a nice shift.

Update after a long test drive, sometimes it's only a one second delay, sometimes it doesn't want to do anything until I let off the throttle. Any ideas?

i just grounded mine right under the dash on that little bar on the drivers side when you take that panel off.

Still no dice on the lock-up, made sure all my grounding connections were good. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it's moody. I'm also going to pull the pan again this weekend, and have a better look around. This sucks!