Detroit in front with COD unlocked?

OK12V

Hi guys. In the market for a front locker for my 97 with 10" lift and 37" tires. I did the research and all. Cant make my self spend over a grand for selectible, so question is, how bad is having detroit or lockrite in front with COD open when i dont need full traction. Can i do 40 mph on gravel? Will it try to turn my wheels sideways when i accelerate or let off the throttle?
It is my toy truck mostly, and i tow boat and drive around town, but thats in two wheel drive only.
I was thinking about LSD but kind of want full lock to crawl over stuff instead of jumping it.
My front axle is out and needs work, so it is a great time to do it now.
Thanks

I have a spartan in my toy jeep and it just will chatter a little In a parking lot or during hard turns but does t try to pull at all and I think it is the same as the ones your talking about only a smaller version

I beleive Eaton makes a lsd/lock but I'm thinking it wasnt cheep ..... D60 was like 900 or so ... been a while .... call 4 wheel parts ... they can make a good recomendation I'm sure ....

Do you mean CAD- Central Axle Disconnect?

While you have the axle out for work why not convert to ford hubs?

Do you mean CAD- Central Axle Disconnect?

While you have the axle out for work why not convert to ford hubs?

Right CAD sorry. How do I change it in title? I thought there something wrong there lol. Too many terms to remember.
It all started when I wanted to swap my 3.54 axles for 4.10s. Found the guy who was selling one, clamed all rebuild with new everything, which it is, but after inspecting it at home, I found that pinion nut was loose and gears was not set up correctly. So what I was trying to avoid, I end up having to do anyway. And if I have to tear it up, them might as well stick a locker in it. I'm that kind a guy that if I don't do it my self, then its not getting done at all lol.
So, I red a lot about ford knuckle upgrade and sure love to do that. Especially for upgraded breaks, but nothing cheap enough was around me at this time. I will get to ford stuff after this new axle start falling apart. Like it didn't already :doh:.
CAD will get manual cable upgrade so I could use only left front tire in 4x4 mode in tight corners. Now there is a lot of info on that, but how bad the truck will handle the road with just one front tire powered? Is it bad enough to ditch locker idea and just go with LSD?

you wont wanna do LSD like that ... it most likley will burn up as it will try to enguage the other axle continously ... and would burn up the clutches and such ... scrap that idea ... I would say an arb selectable .... open when unlocked and locked when enguaged .... price well its worth the upgrade lets leave it at that .... only seen a few get broken with moderate power .... stuipd power can break anything LOL

I only want to do CAD mode for locker, not LSD. With that mode and locker I could simulate open diff in tight corners, so the truck don't try to go straight.

yeah but its a do it once and never have to worry about it again kinda deal ... fix it right or you will kick your self in the as# unitl you fix it right ...... or everytime you romp on it you wil worry about if this will be the time its gonna snap on ya ..... I used to be big in the 4x4 community ... to damn spendy I know all too well ........ I understand ... dont cheep out in this area it will come back to bite ya

No matter how much I spend on locker, there is a good possibility to snap a shaft or ujoits. I'm not a hard core off roader by any means and I think the choices that I'm exploring is not much weaker then ARB. If this truck was my only project.... lol

Lol.. ahh i see .... Detroit makes a good locker and there tuffer than the drive shafts for sure ....LOL

if it's only a toy i bet you could use a lockrite in the front with manual lock for the cad. i did the ford hub up grade on my and love it. i have a lockrite locker to go in the front. i've had lockrites in ever 4x4 i've own and the only thing i've broke is the axles or ujoints.

if it's only a toy i bet you could use a lockrite in the front with manual lock for the cad. i did the ford hub up grade on my and love it. i have a lockrite locker to go in the front. i've had lockrites in ever 4x4 i've own and the only thing i've broke is the axles or ujoints.

How is it drives with just one hub engaged?

I would think i would perpetually have a slight pull to one side due to the parasidic drag of opperating one and not both hubs ....

if its just slight pull then I'm totally fine with that, but if it will yank to the side, then I might just have to go with LSD. Jeep people do that all the time, just like to see if cummins guys do that